• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner in fear of sparring

goedikey

Hello,

as you may have read in my other post, I have just been ranked Orange belt. This means that I might get in more frequent sparring sessions at the end of our classes.

I have been involved only in one free sparring after a class about 2 months ago and got a heavy punch on the chest resulting in intense pain for 2 weeks.

Now, I want to learn how fight but am scared of getting hurt.

We dont use gloves.

I dont expect anyone to kill me but things usually ecalate a bit...

How did you overcome this ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Confidence will build in karate provided you dont have some show of out to prove to the world that hes a complete NED. Pads arnt really needed if both fighters are aware of the conditions. Also it often comes down to, you either have it or you don't. The best thing you can do is keep going even if you do get knocked around (although if it is a good school you wont)

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke

Keep on practising and spar with people of different ability, if possible. A good higher grade will be able to bring you on and help you but should have the control to be able to attack without beating you to a pulp.

If you're really worried about sparring then have a private word with your instructor. He/She should be able to help and advise you, and will probably keep a close eye on you during future sparring sessions if they know you're a bit nervous about it.

Good luck and keep training!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I hate to say it, but you can't avoid all dojo injuries. If you are afraid of getting banged up a bit at the dojo, then you probably need to choose a different passtime. While moderate to serious injuries should never be a common occurance, the occasional bump, bruise and bloody nose cannot be avoided if you are training for combat. That's just the way it is.

I hate to say it, but you can't avoid all dojo injuries. If you are afraid of getting banged up a bit at the dojo, then you probably need to choose a different passtime. While moderate to serious injuries should never be a common occurance, the occasional bump, bruise and bloody nose cannot be avoided if you are training for combat. That's just the way it is.

It's my turn to agree with you SMR..lol. It's true! If you're involved in a martial art...ANY martial art, you can expect to get banged up a bit. We're not doing square dancing here ya know. :D

God, I remember those days when I'd come honme at night and could hardly raise my arms, they hurt SOOOOOOO BAD!!! The next day they would be black and blue from the elbows to the wrists. But I'll be honest with you, I never had so much fun in my entire life!!!

I don't know about your instructor goedikey, but the way that I handle students that are afraid of sparring is like this. I take them one-on-one with me, and I'll admit I can be rather intimidating at 6'6" (198cm) tall and around 240lbs, and I make them spar with me. I will tell them what to do (assuming they don't try anything), offer suggestions to try..praise them when they do something good, correct them if they are doing something really dumb, and give them some slow, easy punches and kicks to practice blocking on. I try to make the experience as positive and fun as possible, and it seems to work. I under no circumstances, try to dominate, embarass or make a fool of them! Sparring is a skill, just like any other. You can learn it if you pay your dues and put the time and effort into it. You can't expect to be skillful the first few times out..it takes time.

Talk to your instructor about it. Express your concerns and fears to him/her. Ask them if they would spar with you a few times, taking it easy of course, and give you soem pointers. Injuries will happen..don't be afraid of them.

Just remember..what doesn't kill you...makes you stronger! :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hello,

as you may have read in my other post, I have just been ranked Orange belt. This means that I might get in more frequent sparring sessions at the end of our classes.

I have been involved only in one free sparring after a * about 2 months ago and got a heavy punch on the chest resulting in intense pain for 2 weeks.

Now, I want to learn how fight but am scared of getting hurt.

We dont use gloves.

I dont expect anyone to kill me but things usually ecalate a bit...

How did you overcome this ?

ok i'm not teasing you but your scared of getting hurt. :dodgy: , full contact is the best and it s pretty fun.

My instructor always says: Person who wins is not the one who hits a lot, but the one who does not get hit, trying to get us to concentrate on our defence.

My advice to you: Try not to think about scoring against you opponent, but rather to block/avoid his strikes. This way you will get hit less.

I also agree with wat was said in this thread before: you have to expect gettin hurt some times, but you still have to try to make the sparring a fun experience.

Just keep doing it and you will get better for sure!

I disagree with nastia. You need to keep a good defense, but focus on scoring. This is point sparring we're talking about here. You can't block them all. Instead, focus on scoring before your opponent does. Kumite is a game of speed.