• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1 on 1 Kumite jodan defense problems !

goedikey

HI,

When I was at your level, I had a similar problem. The problem was caused by being too tense waiting for the attack. Once I started to relax,

I became quicker and more fluid. Keep tension in your hands, relax those shoulders, use more technique than brute strenght. The block is more of a parry than a banging slamming motion. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
For kumite, I agree that the best thing you could do would be a combination block with a side/inside step, followed by a counter. I also find effective against this sort of 'head on' attack would simply be to plant your side kick firmly into the aggressor's stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

parry, guard yourself well and punch as they punch.

Or alternatievely if they are 'charging you' a front kick to the lower abdomen usually stops most chargers, or you could step out of the way and knife hand strike.

Once again this sounds like a fear situation and humans tend to close their eyes during such events. Don't fear the attack, think more about the counter or even countering as the attach advances. Don't see stepping back as backing away. When you perform gedan-bari stepping backwards, the actually blocking technique generates a forward momentum towards the attacker. With practice, you should be able to wait until the very last moment before actually stepping back.

Get someone to throw a tennis ball at you - you block it too soon or late and it wil hit you.

That is all that is happening here - you are pre-empting the attack and straight away, your concentration has gone.

:)