• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1 on 1 Kumite jodan defense problems !

goedikey

Hello,

I have just been ranked Orange and am clearly having probs during 1 on 1 kumite.

Since we are all progressing at a similar rate in my classes, my colleagues are now becoming faster and more brutal when charging in with an initial punch.

I am standing in yoy position and waiting for that jodan punch.

When it comes, I just cant back off fast enough and not far enough either...I am then out of balance and can get wiped out easily.

Whats the deal on how to back off fast enough ?

I dont see anyone having problems like this.

My blocks are pretty good but the backing off motion really sucks and its costing me everything...

Any help ?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why can't you just block it? move in around/under it?

To get the footwork right for moving back, you just move your back leg first then follow with your front leg... Practice this by yourself so you get used to the correct movement.

Don't get into thinking that you NEED to move back to avoid strikes, its often better to stand your ground and/or move in and crowd your opponent.

Backing away from an attack that is already coming is nearly impossible. Slipping the attack to the sides is much better. If you have to back away because the instructor told you to, make sure that you are doing the block correctly. Explain the technique that you're have problems with a little more specifically and it will be easier for others to help you.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Ditto to the above gentlemen. We never back up - simply move to the side, 45 degrees, forward, whatever - straight back is asking for trouble. Now if your sensei is asking you to practice backing up, that's a bit different, like mentioned above, move your rear foot first and then slide your front foot back. If you practice enough you should get quite good at this. Hope you get it :)

I agree with all that's been said thusfar also. if you have to back up, the slowest way is to "step" backwards. Instead, "leap" backwards by pushing off with the front foot and keeping the same foot forward.

Better yet, as has been stated, is angle FORWARD (45 degrees is preferable) instead of backwards.

I assume you have learned blocks? Use them.

There are a whole bunch of other things to suggest, such as block/couinter with same hand, body shifting/change of body, etc, but without knowing what system you practice, I can't really suggest anything else. Plus, they're very hard to descrive on the forum. Much easier to show in person.

Hey! I got an idea! Fly me out to wherever you are, and I'll show you!! (I need a vacation) :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The "backing off" movement is ment to make you block correctly; you can't do that with square hips and parallel feet. You're not supposed to actually jump out of their range..if they come with a jodan punch and you block correctly, you'll have their fist over your head...if you don't (and they can't control their punches very well) you have their fist on your nose.

The "backing off": stand with some bend in your knees. Slide one foot back. This will be slow if you try to transfer your weight onto the sliding foot to soon...so keep the weight over the front foot as long as you can.

Try to block as early as you can, with your wrist against their wrist if you are blocking a punch. Don't wait until their fist is almost in your face before you block. If you block early, it is easier to redirect their strike.

I don't know what style you do, but this is what I've been told to do at my shotokan dojo.

Keep practising moving in different directions when you block, not just straight back. If you have to move straight back, then use your feet & ankles as springs and push off from them, sort of like a 'leap' backwards, but not enough to actually physically jump out of their way, just enough to help you move at speed.

My instructor always says that we should concentrate on making our blocks work for us, rather than moving too much or moving out of the way, because there may come a time when you can't move when attacked and then you'll have to rely on your blocks totally.

Just keep on practising, goedikey, and I'm sure you'll get it soon! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm sorry, I truly mean no disrespect here to anyone. Most styles that I have seen don't know how to interpret blocking movements. If you think that the end blocking position is actually the block then you are mistaken in most cases. The end block position is usually the redirect after the block, or perhaps even a strike. The block is the initial "off-hand" movement in the block sequence. Shorinryu sensei please correct me if I am wrong. This also contributes to the feeling that you're too slow. If a person tries to block with what they think is a "traditional block" after the attack(er) has started moving they will lose every time if the skill level is the same or in favor of the attacker.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I'm sorry, I truly mean no disrespect here to anyone. Most styles that I have seen don't know how to interpret blocking movements. If you think that the end blocking position is actually the block then you are mistaken in most cases. The end block position is usually the redirect after the block, or perhaps even a strike. The block is the initial "off-hand" movement in the block sequence. Shorinryu sensei please correct me if I am wrong. This also contributes to the feeling that you're too slow. If a person tries to block with what they think is a "traditional block" after the attack(er) has started moving they will lose every time if the skill level is the same or in favor of the attacker.

Yes, you're correct Sasori_Te. The end of a block is actually a strike of some sort, or a process of opening your opponents guard/defense up to give you an opening. It's always easier to demonstrate this to someone than it is to try to descrive it in print on here, but I'm sure this is the ultimate goal and application of all arts, but little understood by most sensei I think. Also meant with no disrespect, but I've worked with a number of sensei from various systems that never really understood what they were doing with even such a basic technique as a block.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thank you all for your replies !!

Yes, my sensei is asking us to back off and to do age uke to block the jodan punch.

Pretty basic but really hard when a brutal front attack is coming.

I then have to couter attack.

I will try some of your comments and see if it helps !