• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long does it take you to move up one kyu ?

Ti

There are some minimum time requirements for my Dojo. However, that's now how it usually goes down. It depends on the skill and improvement the individual student makes.

For instance, one student in our club had been training for 9 months as of our last grading (January) attending two classes a week and just received a Yellow belt. Another student who has been training for 3 months (but goes to four classes a week) also went from white to yellow. Finally a third student who has been training for 3 months at two classes a week but has previous training advanced from white to yellow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my shotokan club for each belt you have to have attend 24 classes but grading are usually 3 months apart to give everone a chance to attend 24 class. Although you can't grade if our teacher decides you can't, a lot of the older belt choose to not grade for 6 months at a time. I was luck and got my 7 kyu in 3 months as there were two grading, one for the lower belts and one for the higher belts (8 kyu +) but my teacher though i had improve so much he let me grade at both.

Boy, this thread is an eye opener! I thought it would take a lot longer for most styles to advance than what some of you are saying.

American Kenpo- goes on your skill and understanding, but you won't find any decent school that will advance you to any rank before about three months, unless you've had prior experience and work your butt off. The higher you go, the longer it takes. At brown, there are three levels and it usually takes that many years or more before they'll test you for black.

Freestyle TKD/Arnis- again, it takes longer as you move up. We test for white, and it generally takes about two months. White to yellow is 3-5 months. Brown to black is usually about two years, though I helped one extremely dedicated and tallented girl prepare for her black belt test (before I signed on as a student there) at about 15 months at brown. She almost didn't get it but the two areas I helped her with (yes, I'm bragging!8) ) pulled it out for her: technique formulations and sparing.

Taijiquan-fa- no belts, no tests, and if you even think about time, you aren't doing Taiji. You 'advance' when you are told you are ready.

Most of the schools I've worked out with around this region seem to take about 3-5 years to black for the average student (if there is such a thing as an average student getting black belt :) ).

Freedom isn't free!

American Kenpo- goes on your skill and understanding, but you won't find any decent school that will advance you to any rank before about three months, unless you've had prior experience and work your butt off. The higher you go, the longer it takes. At brown, there are three levels and it usually takes that many years or more before they'll test you for black.

This is also true of the Shaolin Kempo school that I attend. I know people that have tested for advanced ranks (green and brown) in 3 months (prior experience and hard work help) and others that took 12 months or more for the same rank. There is no set time but you do not get put up unless you are ready. No one really keeps track on the amount of classes or months per se (obviously good attendance and frequent practice will be a factor in acquiring greater skill), just if you can demonstrate proficiency, growth and of course know the new material required for the rank you are testing for.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

see Isshinryu Council says four months on kyu but since i'm kinda workign outside the will of the council my little group says as long as it takes to learn. Our test are a little different though to, we have to be harder on ourselves because Isshinryu is so strenuous about testing they don't liek it when people dont follow the lineage charts and the testing progress exactly up to par. We have to make up for that by demanding a little more for each kyu. i.e. kata's must be preformed three different ways. One liek you would at competetion, full speed and power and look like your fighting opponets who arn't really there, then again by the numbers, and again with people actually attacking you, so your timing has to be up to par.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Well, the shotokan organisation that I'm with holds belt grading sessions every three months. In THEORY a student could test for their next belt that often, but they'd have to be the reincarnation of every single karate master that ever lived. As far as I know, no-one within the FSK has ever tested every three months. From white belt to orange the average time is about 3 months, but after that the time people wait between belt tests is 6 months or more. I took my shodan after 4 and 1/2 years,although I think the average for the DSk is about 5 years. Obviously, it depends on the person testing as to how quickly they advance. Some people 'get' karate quicker than others, and this is reflected with the time between promotions (unless its a McDojo, in which case you get your next belt just for turning up on time!!).

At my Aikido dojo, there is a grading roughly every 9-10 months. Most people tend to grade, as the gradings aren't very frequent, although again it depends on the skill level of the people grading. Basically, if ya aint good enough, ya don't grade!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...
Pshh, if you get on the instructors good side and have a fat wallet...no time at all..purple in a year. I hate that crap. I want a dojo where practice and good exictuion actually matter....not just time cards and money

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Pshh, if you get on the instructors good side and have a fat wallet...no time at all..purple in a year. I hate that crap. I want a dojo where practice and good exictuion actually matter....not just time cards and money

At our dojo it doesn't work :D

Arghh I'll have to train harder and harder. My wallet is good only to care my ID and some money. Can't use it as a grader :)

i feel each to there own some grade quick some slow it doesnt really matter it a self gratification thing grades are not important

theres no one style just your style---------