• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long does it take you to move up one kyu ?

Ti

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the rank, the person, and the school.

The rank:

For example white - yellow can be done in about 3 months.

Green - blue or green - brown ---- may take 6 months

The person:

Some people progress faster than others

The school:

Some schools have set test dates...maybe one ever 3 months....others promote when they feel you are ready.

Hope this helps!

KarateForums.com Sempai

In GoJu Ryu you must attend 22 lessons before you can sit another kyu grade...... Also once you get into Dan grades their are minimum age limits.......

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke

As has already been said, a lot depends on how fast you learn and how hard you work.

With that said, we have MINIMUM time requirements as follows:

10 - 9 kyu: 2 months minimum

9 - 8: same

8 - 7: same

7 - 6: 3 months minimum

6 - 5: same

5 - 4: same

4 - 3: 4 months minimum

3 - 2: same

2 - 1: same

1st kyu to shodan: 4 months minimum.

These are just guidelines of course. It's not that difficult to go through the lower belts up to 7th kyu, but at 6th, standards are raised quite a bit and more is expected rfrom students, so I'd say generally that you can add at least a month to tests starting at 6th kyu and above.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Here are the minimums, but as stated before, it is really up to the head Sensei to decide when an individual is ready.

It seems to take about 5 years to get to 1st Dan

10th kyu - 4th kyu = at least 3 months and 30 classes

3rd - 2nd kyu = at least 6 months and 60 classes

1st kyu = 6 months, 60 classes with at least 3 a week, no missed weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

For my school it's every three months, till just before black (1st kyu). It takes that rank anywhere from 5 to 9 months. And you learn nothing new after the first three months at that rank. It kinda "weeds out" the people that are in it for rank. THEN you have to pass a pre-black belt test. We call it a "mock test." If you don't, it's another three months.

You can make it every three months IF you meet the requirements AND the master instructor INVITES you to test. You can also choose not to test if you feel you are not ready (like I have twice). I am also being advanced faster because of my experience, BUT I have to feel (or BE) ready to test.

It also depends on the school, instructor, org. Our school has a very tuff testing policy for black belt ( little more "at ease" with color belts).

Laurie F