• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i need some new techniques

What DO you think is the most popular martial art?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What DO you think is the most popular martial art?

• Taekwondo
    • Jujitsu
    • Kungfu
    • Aikido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Popular or saturated? Popular BJJ, Saturated TKD, What I think you should do TJJ.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

doing the same moves over and over are getting old

Go back, tear your forms down and look for the hidden applications. Same with your one steps and self defenses. Look at different ways to apply your basics. Taking another art is fine too, but to make it work you'll have to bring it to your base anyhow, and you will be doing something similar to what I just said. I'd go for a Chinese art with TKD. It will give you a whole different aproach to your base. Grappling arts are a good compliment to any striking art. Or pick one just because you think it would be fun.

Freedom isn't free!

watch out when you take similar styles (i.e. striking styles) with different mechanics if you are going to take both at the same time. The power generation in xingyi is nothing like the power generation in tkd, for example. you may end up having to pick the method you like best. When I was in long fist, I always retained my MT training - stance, strikes, etc. even though I was in longfist and was able to kick butt with my MT, my MT was considered "wrong" because I wasn't doing it the way the longfist style did it. However, I had more power than anyone else there, so I stuck with my MT style strikes anyway. When I did the forms, I did them in the proper longfist manner, but always fought more thai style. Now, four years later, I'm back in MT, so it's all good.

Before you stay, switch, etc. ask yourself a question - what are you looking for in a martial art?

If you are getting bored with the same old moves, you probably don't know the true meaning of the moves.

A few years ago two friends and myself started to look deeper into our techniques. Our goal was to find "the original intent" of the moves in our kata.

We discovered applications that will work on the street. In fact they should only be use against a real attcker. These application are devastating to an opponent.

My point is now when we do those same old moves they take on a whole new meaning.

Look deeper into your forms.

Good luck

More Practice

TKD training probably makes you a good stand up fighter. I would try TJJ, BJJ, Aikijitsu, or something else that focuses on ground fighting. That will make you a complete fighter.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

So... do the same old moves some more, but THINK about them differently by doign forms? Boooring...

I once did tkd too (didn't we all?) It made me a decent kicker, but I didn't really know how to use my hands (not truly proficiently) and I didn't have a clue how to fight from the clinch or ground. Then I made a kickboxer friend and all my kicking skills got rocked too, but that's another story...

I suggest you take some art that fills in a gap in your knowledge. In your case that would probably be in the hand usage or grappling department.

ok, well i have been in martial arts for about five years i love TKD but doing the same moves over and over are getting old. am i getting tired of it . :-? :o
usually you have to get to next belt level to do the next form but you still would have to do the previous form from your previous belt.