shotokanwarrior

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can fighting in the street be a misuse of the art? is it not self defence? I understand that going out into the street looking for a fight is a misuse but not simply fighting in the streets.

Sure, if it is selfdefence it is not misuse...but "two guys fighting in the street" doesn't sound like the typical selfdefence scenario to me.

yeah i mean my friend learned all his moves from martial arts movies and can beat up more martial artist then anybody.

Then I'd say the martial artists he's "beating up" need to re-evalutate what they are learning. But then again, I know (as most of us probably do also) some people that are just plain, good fighters! With no training, they can hold their own with just about anybody in a NHB kind of street fight.

I know more than one black belt that has had his butt handed to him in a street fight. Funny thing is, they were all from the same system (different schools, but same system), which I think tells me something about that system. No, I'd prefer not to say which system that was. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've seen plenty of higher-ups in rank who could defend themselves in any dojo, but don't have a clue about how to fight when the other guy isn't playing by the rules.

I've seen plenty of higher-ups in rank who could defend themselves in any dojo, but don't have a clue about how to fight when the other guy isn't playing by the rules.

Isn't learning karate, aikido, TKD, BJJ..whatever, all about learning how to defend oneself on the street...essentially anyway? If all a martial artist can do is "fight" effectively in the dojo, or tournaments, but not on the street in a real situation..isn't that telling you something about your training methods? Possibly about the system itself that you are learning?

I've had to use my training about 5-6 times over the years..but not in a life or death situation though, and thusfar, my training has served me well and effectively. Not to say that it will in every situation, but so far, so good!

I'd say that if you can't after as little as a year of training (or less), against your "average" street punk, then there is something lacking in either what you're learning, or your own personal emphasis on training and taking it seriously. IMHO anyway.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Once again I agree with Shorinryu Sensei. Although not everyone trains in martial arts for the same reason all of the martial arts (except for some of the more recent arts) were designed first and foremost for self preservation. In fact I would say that a "martial art" isn't "martial" if it doesn't teach you how to defend yourself. In fact a street fighter that trains to street fight is a martial artist. Training is training whether in a dojo or on the street. Martial arts means military arts and the military is ultimately about fighting. Therefore martial arts are all about learning to fight as effectively as you can. Sorry, lost the thread for a bit but I had to get on my soap box. :)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Of course I agree with all of that, but the subject of this thread is "KARATE or not KARATE." The comment I had made was made with regard to people who practice Karate, and not just martial arts in general.

What was the original purpose of a kata? Did the founder develope it because it was a secret way to pratice because learning to fight was banned?

The kata were means to record the fighting techniques and principles of its creator. You can base an entire curriculum around a kata.

If they are doing sloppy kicks and not using crane stances then I would never consider them a martial artist, but I have learned that the more I train, the easier it is to control a situation and the less I end up having to fight on the street, which I like just fine :)

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."