• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate or not karate

shotokanwarrior

I know that a real fight is messy, you do not look like the movies and there is little technique. My question is, if a persont is effectivly using kicks and strikes is he doing karate? What do you guys consider karate in a street fight, you can have 2 guys with the same moves, one being trained formally and one not.

One reason why I ask is because I do not train formally. my co-worker and I are best friends, he is a 4th dan with 40 yrs experiance. I go to his class off and on but more off than on. I do train with him but not to the extent of learning requirements for belt grading, more along the line of just fighting and self defense. Just wondering what everyones opinion was.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in my opinion if you train with a person who is a trained martial artist, then I'd consider you a martial artist as well. It does not matter if you grade or not, but if he's showing you how to properly execute techniques(kicking, punching, blocking, offense/defense) then you are doing martial arts.

It's like if someone teaches you to box, then your are a boxer, why....because you are learning specific techniques and principles of how to box, not merely throwing out random/uncontrolled punches, as would be the case in many street fights. My 2cents.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

it is KARATE , More KARATE - JUTSU (COMBAT) than KARATE - DO ( ART ).

All training is good , just train in between sessions with him on your own.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Call it a matter of semantics. If you train in a karate style and you use kicks and punches effectively (or not), it's karate. If you use kicks and punches effectively but have not that good an idea why, other than you know it works, then you are a street fighter. In a real situation effective technique, whether from karate training or experience, is what's important.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Actually you may find a benefit in learning the style completely. The application is driven out the technique. If forms are a part of the belt grading take the time to learn why the forms are the way they are. The forms are a simulated situational practice, trust me, i'm not a big fan of forms, but after seeing the application of the techniques that are driven out of the forms, i'm learning to appreciate them a bit more.

If you fight in the streets you are a streetfighter, not a martial artist....
some martial artist fight on the streets and they are not considered streetfighters.

Well, this is just my opinion. And in my shotokan club, it is a shared opinion; if you fight in the street, you misuse the art.

How can fighting in the street be a misuse of the art? is it not self defence? I understand that going out into the street looking for a fight is a misuse but not simply fighting in the streets.

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke