• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Unbendable Arm in an armbar

Fluid tension? Is that term found in physiology?

If you are an entymologist, yes.

Of course clenching the fist is going to allow your arm to bend, because that means you are concentrating on your fist not keeping your arm straight.

I would think it was more the destructive tension of the other side of your arm... you ar efighting yourself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be, Jerry. Still, I don't see the "hard to bend" arm as anthing more than a trick.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Reading this rhetoric remind me of the old saying ‘can’t see the forest through the trees.

In medieval times hard scientific facts that could not be explained were thought to be acts of God or works of the devil.

Is every concept or principal you can’t grasp or completely comprehend a trick?

Ken, did you even try what I suggested? If you did, and you could understand, you might say, ‘Ah, I can see the difference. Ha! It’s not a trick after all. Now I understand.’

The ‘unbendable arm’ is not a technique nor is it a ‘trick’. It is a simple tool, for some, to grasp the concept of static and fluid tension, period, end of story. When, and if you can grasp that simple concept, you can then apply it to your techniques to improve upon them.

It’s the very tip of the tip of the iceberg but you guys keep beating on it.

The internet is a wonderful place, why not Google about it, get some information and post something intelligent?

In Japan, instead of five-dollar bills, they have five-dollar coins. One day my sensei cam into the dojo with about one hundred dollars worth of coins. He had one student stand up, and extend their arm palm up and asked them to make a fist. He took a hand full of coins and dropped then from above. Most of them fell to the floor, a few landed on top of the students closed fist. Sensei asked the student to open his hand, and the rest fell to the floor. Next he asked the student to open his hand he took a hand full of coins and dropped then from above. Fifteen or so coins were in the student’s hand. Sensei asked him to make a fist. The student tightly grasped the coins. A trick, you say? No. A simple tool, for some, to grasp the concept of being closed minded or open minded. You can grasp more with an open mind than a closed one; if you keep a closed mind, you will be ‘poor’, if you keep an open mind you can be ‘rich’.

It's a trick, no amount of metaphor can escape that fact. I have an open mind, open to evidence. I don't doubt the "semi-unbendable" arm trick works, but it is still just a trick.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Is English your native language?

The ‘unbendable arm’ is not a technique nor is it a ‘trick’. It is a simple tool, for some, to grasp the concept of static and fluid tension, period, end of story. When, and if you can grasp that simple concept, you can then apply it to your techniques to improve upon them.

You are hopeless...

Sleight of hand (pulling a bunny out of a hat) is also a "concept" that you can apply to your techniques to improve them. What's your point? It seems to me that the unbendable arm is simply a trick to show people that you shouldn't flex more muscle than you need to. What is fluid tension, btw?

an open mind isn't all it's cracked out to be.

i prefer to be rational.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

well, open minded is accepting without thinking.

saying you must be open minded to new/unknown things is all well and good in concept but in practice, it doesn't really work.

i'd rather listen.

then listen some more.

i'd reserve judgement when i feel i'm better qualified to do so.

i'm not going to be open minded about things just because i don't know about them.

if i don't know about it, then i should go and find out more, not just accept it with an open-mind.

can i shoot fireballs out of my hands (or perhaps behind)?

hey who knows, maybe i can.

if you're open minded, you might believe me

or

at least try to make reasoning as to why that might happen (thereby arguing my case for me.....)

the rational mind thinks first,

then realises that i am joking and will go on to make a witty response.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."