• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You wont see anyone try the unbendable arm in a BJJ or Judo tournament. A kung fu or Aikido masters arm would break just like anyone elses. The older and more masterful they are, the easier the arm will break.

Just pulling on someones arm is not the same as a technically correct arm bar.

Agree with Jerry. To take a demo and place it in an armbar, is to take it out of context. The unbendable arm is a 'demonstration' of a principle that does have application, if incorporated into your entire mindset. It is not limited merely to the arm, nor... in application, is it blatantly exploitable.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 2 months later...

From my personal experience of using the unbendable arm, I have allowed several friends of mine to try and reverse my elbow, or apply an armbar, and they have been unsuccessful. If you were to fully lock out the arm, contracting the triceps to the full extent, then the elbow could be easily reversed, and the arm broken. The defence of the elbow joint is in the arm being bowed, or slightly bent. I cannot explain the technique in terms of ki, or in simple mechanics, other than to say that visualisation is used to employ the muscles in a way that does not directly oppose the agressor's force. If you hit my elbow with a sledge hammer, I doubt that my ki would protect me. In addition, if I was in a position where an armbar had been applied, and I was immobolised on the ground, while I may be able to protect my arms, my Aiki would be of little use. The conflict would be already lost. This is not based on rigorous study, nor am I greatly experienced in Aikido (I have studied for three years), but I hope these comments may be of some interest.

we did this as an exercise when i first started MAs.

it was really weird at first .. i had a guy about my height and weight almost swinging on my arm ... there is some explanation but truth is i just cncentrated and relaxed my arm .. it wouldn't move!!!

Orange sash

The defence of the elbow joint is in the arm being bowed, or slightly bent. I cannot explain the technique in terms of ki, or in simple mechanics, other than to say that visualisation is used to employ the muscles in a way that does not directly oppose the agressor's force.

BTW, their counter to that is to shift directions of force and stop trying to overpower the arm. Then you get a joint hyperextension, though not always the elbow.

Depending on your skill at maintining it, they could also just hit you and then immediately go for the arm break.

• 3 months later...