• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring gear - mandatory or optional....

in our style gloves, gum shield and box are mandatory. head guards and chest protectors are mandatory for 8yr olds and under. I dislike the gloves intensely - they're strapped-up boxing style gloves which all but prevent open-hand techniques.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amateur:

Headgear, Gloves, Shin/Instep, Mouthpiece, Cup

(or knee and elbows, if those strikes are allowed)

Pro:

Gloves, Moutpiece, Cup

(Anything else optional, headgear prohibited)

THE MASTER OF THE WORLD'S FINEST!!

SOUL SONIC STYLE!!

I'm in Kyokushin, and I know that in tournements we aren't allowed to wear too much gear. I think however, that mouth guard and head gear should be allowed for amatuers, and I think a lot of tournements are like this anyways.

In class I don't like wearing gear when I am practicing with the blockers. A lot of people do, but I find that if I wear hand gear for example, its hard to get an idea if I am punching correctly. Therefore I don't wear hand gear and my knuckles sometimes bleed but it's not too bad and your hands get stronger.

In your opinion what sparring gear should be mandatory / optional / thrown away in tournaments? What are the factors (age, gender)?

Head gear

Face Shield

Mouth piece

Rib Protector

Shin Guards

Groin Protectors (I guess they make female ones too)

Hand gear

Foot Gear

Just curious :)

Open:

I think until ur 11-13 you should wear all gear including chest gear...then you can choose whether you want a chest guard.

TKD Olympic:

All current gear is fine, Head, Hands, foearms, shin/instep, and chest

Groin Cups for chicks? I dont think so dude, they do have special female torso gears, since i hear it does hurt to get hit there...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

It sounds like most of you are referring to tkd sparring and karate point fighting. In muay thai, you wear headgear (no face mask - I almost laughed when I saw that), gloves and a mouthguard. you can wear a cup and shinguards - those are optional.