• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do these techniques give you an edge on the street?

Well I don't like to think I know everything, but what I do know is life is full of surprises. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents,

A lot of those techniques were made illegal to allow the UFC to become a legal sport by the Nevada Boxing Commission. They were put in there to make the sport appear more civilized, not because they are so deadly. I mean, how many professional fighters are going to tap because someone is pinching them, or pulling their hair, or grabbing their clavicle.

I'll also point out that a lot of those techniques aren't fight stoppers in a streetfight either. do you think some guy who is high on drugs is going to be concerned about any of the things above or someone holding his clothes, or spitting at him?

Regarding the stomping techniques, if you stomp someone in a streetfight, you may as well pull out a knife and stab them, because the courts will see it the same way.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Well, some guy high on drugs is probably not doing too well coordination wise to be able to hit you effectivly either....

Besides, winning a streetfight is irrelevent to the later court precedings. If someone wins a streetfight by stomping them, then they won. Regardless if a courts sends them to jail.

People on drugs can definately hit you hard - it just means that they don't feel it when you hit them. I've seen plenty of people on amphetamines or coke getting the snot bashed out of them and keep fighting.

TKD - Black Belt

Sure, they can hit you hard, and they can take more hits, but they lose an essential part of a fight...reason...

I'd hope I'd never get into a fight, much less someone who hardly feels pain.

The point of this thread though was "Do these techniques give you an edge in a streetfight". I'm saying that a lot of these won't because in a fight your opponent will have adrenaline pumping though him, and possibly alcohol or drugs and so not feel pinches, or shirt pulling, or spitting, or even punches.

I've been headbutted, elbowed, kicked and punched in fights and not felt a thing until much later, so the techniques mentioned above are hardly going to be "fight-stoppers".

TKD - Black Belt

Agreed, but against a person who isn't going to feel these techniques, how exactly do they give you an edge? More importantly, does their use give an advantage over someone who doesn't train them (i.e. someone who trains mma) ?

TKD - Black Belt

JohnnyS:

Agreed, but against a person who isn't going to feel these techniques, how exactly do they give you an edge? More importantly, does their use give an advantage over someone who doesn't train them (i.e. someone who trains mma) ?

There is no doubt they give you an edge. If you haven't figured out how a certain strike, pinch, lock or whatever you do to someone causes a reaction whether it stops them or not, is still a definite advantage. If I kick someone in the groin they react, they hunch over a little or a lot depending on the person, take advantage of that. You are in a clinch and you put your fingers towards their face, they flinch, take advantage of that movement. I could go on and on. The fact is, whenever you limit yourself to rules it becomes a sport or a game. A real fight is neither so why limit yourself, ANYTHING GOES BABY! :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

1. you don't practice them full power.

2. because of this, you don't know what it will do to me. some pressure points don't work on some people, as with some locks. I've got friends with really flexible wrists - wrist locks are useless on them. I have big, strong, flexible legs - it's VERY hard to tap me with any type of leg lock except for a heel hook.

3.in your example of flinching, you don't know how I'll flinch. I may weave, duck, rollback, etc.

4. since you don't do them full power, you don't know that you can even land it effectively. the most dangerous technique in the world is useless if you can't use it.