• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do these techniques give you an edge on the street?

that doesn't give you an edge though... a knife gives you an edge (pun not intended) anyone can headbutt, anyone can knee. There's no single strike you can be taught that will give you a definite edge on the street. All you are doing by training is increasing your chances of survival. THAT is your edge.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a japanese proverb: ichi-go ichi-e; one encounter, one chance. MA have been striving for a one punch kill since the inception of MA. And actually, I think there are alot of people that are capable of it. The problem is pulling it off against someone who doesn't want you to kill them. It's hard enough to kill someone with one bullet - they run, zig zag, hide behind things, etc. naturally it's much harder to do so with only your bare hands. If you train to have the power to do so, however, then you can still be assured that you will have the striking power to do plenty of damage when you do hit them. Training doesn't guarantee victory, one strike death, etc. - it only improves your chances.

Bottom line is more options the better. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

kinda... it's been proven that once the heart rate exceeds 120bpm (as in a high adrenaline situation, like a confrontation) you WILL forget any motions that are not ingrained into your "muscle memory" you may have 100 options, but if only 10 of them are hardwired into your body, then those are the only 10 you will use.

Then hardwiring more techniques may take more time. If I have 10 now, I will have another 10 in a few years and so on.

My adrenaline goes away right after I land a good hit. Then it gets fun.

In a real fight my adrenaline goes up for a little while I'm just telling you the truth. I can stay calm in pretty hairy situations. Also, I've kickboxed and never got so pumped with adrenaline that I froze. Actually since it was a sport I thought of it like a game and I function quite well. So basically everyone's different and reacts differently to different situations, so what you are saying has some truth, not absolute truth.

So what if they evolve faster, they peak out faster as well and rely way too much on strength which fades with age. Not everyone in sport oriented MA's compete you know.

they don't peak out faster. that's another myth. I have a friend who fought a thai match for his 50th bday. my judo coach is 73. the ones that are trying to compete pro are the ones that peak out due to injury. If there were any pro budo taijutsu guys, you'd see the same trend. that's just how it goes. However, they don't have to compete pro to evolve faster.

nothing wrong with staying calm, I'm like that. BUT, when your heartbeat goes over 120, it goes out the window. Doesn't matter what it takes to get it there. Whenever it gets there, you'll use what's ingrained.

That's great that those guys are still fighting at that age. The thing is I guarantee you they were more effective when they were in their younger years. Not entirely true of Budo Taijutsu, the old guys that have been doing it for 30 years are crazy good.

Everyone likes to think there is some 70 year old Tai Chi master meditating in the Himalayas that can whoop every foolish sport fighter, but I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny long ago.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.