• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do these techniques give you an edge on the street?

1. you can't do most of those techniques full force in class, just like it can't be done in sport.

2. no single technique is going to give you an advantage.

3. actually, eye gouges used to be legal in UFC. you would only get penalized, not DQ'ed. If I eye gouged you, I would get a penalty, but if you couldn't continue, I still won.

I believe Kneeing the head of a grounded attacker. is allowed in Pride. Can't remember.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Kneeing the head of a grounded attacker. is allowed in Pride. Can't remember

Yes that is one rule i wish the UFC would re-instate. You can also kick a downed opponet in pride.

Weren't all these:

Butting with the head.

Hair pulling.

Groin attacks.

Striking to the spine or the back of the head.

Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

Holding the clothes of an attacker.

Kicking the head of a grounded attacker.

Kneeing the head of a grounded attacker.

Stomping a grounded attacker.

Kicking to the kidney with the heel.

Spiking an opponent to the ground on his head or neck.

Holding the gate or the fence.

-allowed in the ufc originally? That's why its still so much fun to watch the first few ufc's, and see lots of traditional people get beat down.

I'll start by saying yes, these methods should be utilized in a street fight when you feel you and/or your family are in danger. That being said, the reason they are against the rules is because they are especially dangerous (except the last few). Chances are, if you are a trained martial artist you will not need to use these techniques to subdue an attacker in the street and if you do use these very dangerous techniques you run a far greater risk of being the one who gets sued and/or arrested regardless of whether or not you started the fight.

But I suppose the legal implications of using such techniques will vary from country to country, state to state, judge to judge and are another discussion altogether.

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Reklats and KSN Doug thanks. I'm not trying to say MMA is bad in any way because it's not and I've said it before Sports MA's training methods are far more rigorous and superior to most TMA's. The point I'm trying to make is Eye gouging and pinching aren't what make Combat MA's, there is much more to it. I'm asking if the list I wrote are useful in reality? I'll edit the list to take out eye gouging and biting if you want, but all that other stuff is just good Combat fighting. Stomping a grounded fighter is one of the big ones.

Also all you UFC fans stop comparing yourselves to those Champion fighters you are not them and never will be with the exception of very few of course. Just because those methods work for them in competition doesn't mean it will work for you against a truely viscious person on the street. I think if you train for a specific environment that's what you will excel in and that's fine. Just because those people got crushed in UFC were supposedly TMA experts don't blame the Art blame the training. I guarantee just like there are basketball players in the ghetto better than Michael Jordan who nobody knows about, there are hundreds of Traditional and Combat MA's that would hold their own quite well with any NHB fighter especially in a real fight.

The real point to this is to show you that there are no rules on the street or in combat and that anything goes, anything you can think of. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I've never considered MMA to be anything close to a sport. I haven't even ever considered it an art unto itself. I've always considered it more of an ambiguous cloud, shifting and changing as each individual sees fit.

I do consider the UFC to be a sport competition, where mainly combatants practicing a MMA approach to training excel. But I do not consider MMA to be a sport itself.

Therefore, my opinion is that one should not propagate the use of MMA and UFC interchangeably.

MMA is not a sport.

MMA has no rules.

UFC is a sport.

UFC does have rules.

On the contrary, MMA does have rules, it is the watered-down version of early no-holds-barred/vale tudo fighting. The term MMA was coined to give the sport (yes, it is a sport) a less menacing public appearance.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

I would also like to make clear that if you put someone in situation that is outside of their element, the odds are against him. TMA guys were way out of their element, but we only saw a few Styles compete in the early UFC's. Logically if you put a ring fighter in a dojo with a boken in his hand going against a kenjutsu master his going to get killed, he's out of his element. It doesn't mean that his training is not effective, he's just not in his element. :)

Yes, but in many cases, weapons negate skill. Any untrained hood can stab you, he doesn't need knife training. If you also have a knife, and have trained to use it, the odds are in your favor, but he only has to get lucky once.

In a one on one situation, a good mixed martial artist will beat a great one dimensional stylist. Eyegouges are no substitute for hard work.

Many combat (many, not all) martial arts focus on the "deadly" techniques, neglecting conditioning and resistance. That is why you see so many guys in military fatigues with beerguts teaching these deadly arts.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

I guarantee just like there are basketball players in the ghetto better than Michael Jordan who nobody knows about

No that's rediculous if they were or even close they would be making millions in the NBA and anyone with that kind of talent would realize it or someone else would.

there are hundreds of Traditional and Combat MA's that would hold their own quite well with any NHB fighter especially in a real fight.

there are plenty of great fighters outside the NHB world but I still don tthink they would be able to compete with the Elite of todays NHB world...they are proabably the best fighters in the world.

OK you're back to training methods not technique. If you read what I said both have weapons. Obviously someone well trained with a weapon is going to have the clear advantage over someone who is not well trained. This is what I mean by being out of your element.