• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Homework Help please!!!

HI, I'm writing a paper for my college English class on the martial arts, why people start and what they get from it. Things like that. And I don't want just stories from my area and style. So, can you guys share with me? I'll need your name (for citing purposes), relative age, relative location, style, and belt or time studied. Also, how you joined, why you joined, and why you picked the school/instructor that you did, also what it's brought you if wanted. I'll leave my story as an example.

Chris, early 20's from Michigan.

I joined Tang Soo Do 5 years ago. I got my black belt this summer. I joined at the school where my younger brothers trained. After my freshman season of soccer, my parents decided that I needed to do something so my dad gave me the choice of karate w/my brothers or dance. It wasn't too hard of a choice to make. Now, I basically live there. I'm at the school 5-6 days a week and nearly all of my friends are from there. It has become the central part of my life and I hope to open my own school in the future.

any type of response will be greatly appreciated. you can either post here, PM me or email me at tsdred@msn.com. thank you very much!!

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My black belt paper is about the same exact thing. I'm testing at the end of spring and I'm writing my paper early. Do you mind if I get stuff from this thread also?

Anyways, my info: Laurie S, 28 (will be 29 next month), from New Jersey (but live in New York).

I joined my Tang Soo Do dojang in New Jersey after I realized I needed to learn self defense for a job I had (Security Police). Before I started martial arts, I had low self esteem/confidence, ect. Tang Soo Do (well MA in general) changed that. It's not just the physical stuff I learn, but the mental stuff that became more important. I also trained there 4 to 5 days a week. I was hooked. I reached 5th gup in TSD before I moved.

Now I do TKD (after I moved). My instructor now reminds me of my TSD instructor. He is big into the mental stuff as well as the physical. He also teaches the same way. He is very knowledgeable about MA. I learn something new everyday, even about something or technique that I "thought" I knew. I'm currently 3rd gup and instructor in training (will be testing for certified instructor in summer after getting my BB .... hopfelly ;) ).

Martial arts not only physically changed me, but mentally.

Laurie F

My name is Ben D. from Texas

Being in a gi in a karate class is my very first memory. I was 5 years old, unlike other children who played and talked while the instructor was teaching, I was very respectful and listened to everything he had to say. So much so that while standing in Baro position(attention) while he was talking, I had a little accident because I didn't want to interrupt.

I got to the rank of Brown belt in Tang Soo Do by the age of 8, as I was getting prepared for my next test, my parents went through a bitter divorce. I lost the desire to do anything, much less fight. Although my skills began to deteriorate, I knew Martial Arts was a vital part of who I was, I could still feel it.

When in college I began to study Tae Kwon Do, and have enjoyed it thoroughly for the past five years. I was again bettering myself by training my muscles, developing a respectful attitude, and developing good self discipline. Although many people argue styles, and train for different things, we can all agree that Martial Arts can be beneficial to anyone depending on what they would like to improve.

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.

Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know what I get on the paper. (if its good, that is!) haha, maybe i'll just put it up in here. nah... wouldn't do that to you guys. Karatekid- my black belt essay was much like this also. Our question was what we have gained from TSD and what we are going to give back. Probably the easiest paper I've ever written.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

first of all good luck on the paper :)

Name: Lester San Jose

Age 22

Disciplines - Wushu Kung Fu, Aikido, currently Jeet Kune Do

I guess it would have to do with the karate kid movies, the early bruce lee exposure yet I was too young to fully comprehend what i was trying to get into. I think at the time I was really into far eastern culture as well. There was something to the martial arts to me at least that lent itself farther than basketball or any other recreational sport that i've come across; at the time it was something I couldn't put my finger on. Started wushu finally at the age of 9 or 10 i believe. I couldn't believe I actually was doing some sort of martial art, especially since my parents weren't that high on me doing it at that point in my life. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there. Unfortunately the teachers that taught it left and the class was replaced by a choy li fut style.

After a long break from formal training, I was still interested in Martial arts. I eventually came across the Tao of JKD twice, one through a friend and another when my sister bought it for me as a birthday gift. i decided at that point that i 'd take up JKD. Then when i was in high school I saw an issue of bruce lee magazine, upon reading it honestly i'd say i was hooked obtaining issue after issue. It was also realized that through reading it and being as old as i was at the time (16 or so) I learned there was another element to the martial arts.. the philosophical aspect. Upon leaving high school i was still determined to take up martial arts.. My motives were different from the last time i went (well it should have been since i started at 9 and at the time of trying to re enter 16; being more mature and all), i decided to finally try and use the MA as a tool of self discovery. In college i then found an aikido class since it had a lot of yin yang influence as well as JKD. Very interesting to say the least, I learned a lot in that three month span. To make a long story short (sorry for the lengthiness), I finally took up JKD after talking with a long time JKD elder under dan inosanto on the phone i was able to talk to one of his students and have been training since then. Also it was through training in actual JKD that I was able to clear any misconceptions i might have had about the art in the first place. Each day I learn more about myself becau7se of martial arts.

if you have any questions or request some clarity in my words don't be afraid to drop aline at my email or IM (i should have it there in the profile)

I hope this serves of good help and i wish you again on the best of luck for the paper.. with the insight provided by all of us it should be a great paper :)

till then take it easy

Les

you scythe with it!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Ah...well, I'm apparently the lowest ranked person here....Oh well. I started karate seriously only 7 months ago. I've learned an absolute ton, every class I walk away wtih something (either some sort of knowledge, or some sort of ache, depends on the day) I started for no better reason than one of my friends was in it, I used to be, and I was interested. Besides, more time to spend with a friend, he'd tell me what to do if I was screwing up. So far, I love it. I can't stand to miss even one class, and beg any friend I have that goes to it to give me a ride if my mom can't manage it. I usually get to go, too. I picked my school because it's the only one really in our area, and besides, Sensei's awesome! He's trained in tons of different styles, and teaches us how to react againt people in different styles. It's amazing. And now, I'm going to get ready to go back to class.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu