• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help for new instructor please

Jane Doe, You might want to go to Turtel Press and look at some of the books that they have on drills and forhow to teach young children. I taught children from 4-8 years old for 4 years before I finally got another instructor to take over that class, it was the most difficult class I have ever taught, but it was one of the most rewarding too. Don't get to varied in your structure, the young students need structure and discipline in order for them to advance and keep focus and I understand that they can easily get bored so some variety is good.

For you I would say just keep your focus on why you are teaching and the rewards and it will make every victory a hundred times greater. :)

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm still trying to get over the mental picture of a bunch of kids squatting on the floor doing the "crap" walk. :o Makes me remember the 7 year old that just stood in the middle of the floor, never saying a word, and peeing his gi pants! :roll:

Anyway, kids that young are naturally flexible and don't need much, if any, in the way of flexability exercies. Strengthing and coordination exercies are better for them.

Others I might suggest are:

1. walking a straight line like a cop will do to a drunk, for balance training. 2. put a 6-8' 2x4 on the floor and have them walk on it without touching the floor

3. standing on one leg for as long as they can with variations like holding it out front as long as possible or to the side/back to strengthen the leg muscles. Make a contest of it and give a small prize for who can hold it the longest. This is where a Dollar Store in town is nice..cheap crap for incentives for kids. :D

4. run them back and forth as much as possible doing kicks, punches or blocks. Kids are a varitable fountain of energy and need/like to burn it off! Mainly, keep the youngsters class a high energy class.

You might consider talking to an elementary PE teacher for suggestions also.

I hope this helps.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 3 weeks later...
I have several, first running through the forest. kids are running on the spot you yell log they jump branch they duck. bear perfectly still. killer bees run to the end of the dojo. screaming eagle everyone hits the deck, etc. you get the idea. ready ninja green ninja you say green they go red they stop and freeze ( try and trick them its fun) you can have them kicking and try catch them with their foot up. also add yellow ninja (slow motion) rewind ninja (self-explanitory). Hope they helped

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all! I am back and looks like class will get underway end of January. I am a little nervous :uhoh: - first class I ever taught!!!!! Any suggestions from experienced instructors in how to structure a lesson? We have an hour (would like 45 min but it runs along the older kids class so the parents only have to come once a night) and I am not sure how long the attention span of 4-7 year olds might be. Would 10-15 min be about right for each activity? :-?

An hour is a long time for 4 -7 year olds. If you keep it going without alot of down time then their attention span is pretty good. When I'm teaching really technical stuff I only try to do it for about 10 min then I run them around for a little bit then come back to it. Or find many ways to teach the samething. Just remember two things, a child has an attention span for about 6 seconds and CREATIVITY IS KING!

Keep your class constantly flowing, as soon as they start to loose concentration switch to another task or send them off for a quick drink break.

Constantly switching between primary type lesson plans (What if scenarios; stranger danger, fire, snake bites etc), secondary type lesson plans (Games: team building, self control, strength, stamina, balance, hand/eye co-ordination etc.) in 5 – 10 minute blocks gets you through the hour without to many problems.

I have 40 of these little tykes (not all in the same class thank goodness) and have a lot of fun helping them grow and develop both mentally and physically.

Make sure they all have had a drink and gone to the toilet before starting the class. :D

Have fun and enjoy…

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do