• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To groin kick, or not to groin kick...

...that is the question.

On another thread, we got off the subject a bit with this, so I thought I'd start a new thread on the topic.

I doubt if anybody would argue that a good groin kick can be an effective technique in a street fight, but how about in the dojo or in a tournament?

I know in many TKD dojangs for example, groin kicks are forbidden, even looked down upon as being disrespectful. Why? Wouldn't you want to practice a technique that can be very useful on the street? Get your timing and distancing down pat BEFORE you actually need to use it, just like with every other technique we strive to perfect?

The open tournaments I've judged and referred in my area have always allowed light contact to the groin as I also do in my dojo. However, the two TKD tournaments I've watched do not allow them.

It makes me scratch my head actually, as watching these guys trying to kick each other on the head just SCREAMS to me..."KICK HIM IN THE B**LS!!!"..yet the rules say they can't.

With the developement of the groin protector (cup), why can't the groin be a viable target for controlled contact?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dunno what your juevos are made of, but a kick to the groin with a cup still friggin hurts. :)

The last tournament I was in I did a mid level spinning back kick at the same time he did a high spinning wheel kick.

I don't think I've ever heard a room more quiet than when my foot made contact with plastic. I swear it echoed throughout the whole room. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I agree that practising a technique before possible having to use it in a 'street-fight' is a good thing.

In my dojo we do practise using groin kicks, with opponent wearing a guard. Contact has to very light, though, even with groin protection. We're trying to get a technique right, not damage an opponents 'nether-regions'! lol

And, yes, even though I'm female it can still hurt getting kicked in the groin. *eyes watering at the thought*

What do you think is the 'best' or a good technique to use when attacking to the groin? I always like front snap kick, myself.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

totally off topic but i prefere to kick at the knee than the groin.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Drunken Monkey -- "totally off topic but i prefere to kick at the knee than the groin."

I absolutly agree for a street fight. However, for tournaments and dojo sparring, it is (IMHO) far to dangerous to practice that in the heat of sparring.

aefibird -- "Contact has to very light, though, even with groin protection. We're trying to get a technique right, not damage an opponents 'nether-regions'! lol

And, yes, even though I'm female it can still hurt getting kicked in the groin. *eyes watering at the thought*"

Agreed. Of course, contact has to be light when talking about a groin kick.

tommarker -- "I dunno what your juevos are made of, but a kick to the groin with a cup still friggin hurts."

Yes it does! That's where control comes in. To tell you the truth, I rarely (in the last 29 years) ever wear a groin cup. Why? Because my personal philosophy is that I'd better learn to block that groin technique, because I'm not going to have one in a street fight! Have I been tagged? Of course! A bunch of times. Put down to the floor in fact. But by God, I sure am pretty good about blocking it now! lol

before anybody asks..yes, my class is required to wear groin cups. However, as I tell my adults (18 and over), I will not physically walk around class and check. If they tell me they are wearing a cup, and ren't..they do so at their own risk, and that is well understood.

I'm leaving in a bit for an out of town business trip and won't be back until Saturday night, so I'll be looking forward to more feedback and opinions. Have a good week people! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

well, you probably know how us wing chun guys kick.

if we kick it means we HAVE to.

in that case we go for what would do us most good.

in any case, a tap and a pull gets the desired result in a friendly sparring session.

but yeah, i can see how it would make competitions kinda boring and a little bit dangerous.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

one of the instructors at a black sash test in my school decided to make sure all of the people testing were wearing their cups, because groin shots are legal at our school. instead of asking like he usually does, he went right up to the first guy, kicked him in the groin, and moved on. if you hadn't guessed, no, he wasn't wearing his cup. ironically, everyone else was :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Another way to think about it is this...groin shots work well in the streets becuase you are kicking against an untrained fighter. We are trained to get in a fighting stance which takes the vital targets and turns them away from the opponent. If a person squares up to kick some of the people in my school in the groin they are going to get side kicked into the next room. Just a different view.

Good luck!