• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What belt rank will i be assissting like teaching the class?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm a brown belt (3rd gup). I help teach now (plus YMCA kids). BUT I'm also a 28 (almost 29) year old adult, and I've been training for a few years. In my school it is "supposed" to be black belt. But I've been teaching or "assisting" for years, and my instructor realized I can teach. Belt rank doesn't make the teacher. I seen yellow belts that teach better than some 2nd dans or above. So just keep training hard and helping other students. If you are ment to teach, it will show ;)

Laurie F

Well, I started assisting with classes at my old dojo when I was a blue belt (5th kyu) at age 14. In November of that same year (red belt, 3rd kyu), I became the head instructor of my very own class, a family class...but I had been outright "teaching" classes for awhile. As long as the office manager was there in case of an emergency, I was good to go. At the time, we were shorthanded, so maybe that had something to do with it. Promoting helpers at blue belt was a common practice, but having 14-year-old red belts teaching their own class was deeefinitely unusual.

That was what my dojo was like, but other dojos believe that nobody should even ASSIST without a dan rank, and they shouldn't become full-fledged instructors until 3rd or 4th dan. Different schools and style will have different systems for their teachers, so if you really want to know, you should ask an instructor. I know that's a difficult question to ask, though. Some old-school instructors used to take a person's belt if they asked when they would be testing next, hopefully you don't have to put up with that.

If you can, though, ask your instructor or the other students in the leadership program.

Chances are, you'll start helping somewhere between 5th and 2nd kyu.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hey when'd you get your brown belt! Congrats!!!

Last week. Thanks :)

Monkeygirl is right. It really depends on your instructor/system rules. But even that didn't matter with me. My instructor saw that I can teach. I started by helping fellow students learn their new forms. I guess my instructor saw me and liked how I taught.

In my old school, I was also asked to assist in the master instructors beginners classes (at green belt 5th gup/kyu).

If you are good at helping fellow students, your instructor will pick up on it.

Laurie F

Nice Job KK75 on the Brown Belt.

As far as teaching goes its not about rank but ability. You have to be a good speaker and the class must respect you as a Martial Artist and a person. I have trained with Sempai's wearing black belts that were lazy jerks and I did not enjoy it at all. Then I have trained with Colored belt Sempais that I saw busting their hump in class before and I respected them.

Teaching is about how much respect the other have for you know not what you know. Because in all reality there is not a lot to know. Teaching is just getting the idea across.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Thanks G95 :) And I agree with you, also. I enjoy teaching. I also make it fun for the younger students while they learn, and they love it. I got smiles from parents while I was teaching their kids, so I guess I'm doing something right ;)

If you have the ability to teach, rank shouldn't matter (unless you wanna open a school LOL). Some people might look at my rank and snicker. But I tell them, don't let my rank fool you ;)

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...