• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tae kwon do or shotokan karate

Seems my statement got a little (confused)

I guess I should have said Shotokan does not train for competion to the dregree TKD does.

But its all about the teacher. No question.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ok, lets forget about it :)

anyways: its true though that its hard to find a combat orientated TKD dojang and the old problem with the McDojangs not to forget...

so if you dont want the sport TKD (wtf, the olympic style with no punching to heads etc) you should look for the traditional orientated ITF dojangs.

shotokan karate has a completly different approach to things and they develope the strenght of techniques in a different way.

differences, pro/cont etc are difficult to outline since its all up to the instructor.

ok, lets forget about it :)

so if you dont want the sport TKD (wtf, the olympic style with no punching to heads etc) you should look for the traditional orientated ITF dojangs.

shotokan karate has a completly different approach to things and they develope the strenght of techniques in a different way.

differences, pro/cont etc are difficult to outline since its all up to the instructor.

Ouch... Icetuete,

I once thought the same, until my learn-ed colleagues on this forum (and others) set me straight.

Firstly, there are many WTF combat orientated dojangs. Secondly, I have seen many sports orientated ITF clubs, and finally, we (ITF) developed the strength of techniques the same way as ShotoKan karateka as ITF was developed from Shotokan.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

oh, is that so :o

maybe i havent had enough experience in different dojangs, but at least WTF -> sport and ITF -> traditional is the way it oughta be. of course there are ITF schools that focuss very much on their kind of sparring (punching to head allowed etc), but this is a completely different 'sport' aspect of TKD as well,, although i agree with you: still sport orientated.

as to the combat orientated WTF: never heard of any.

i dont know too much about shotokan since i never trained in it, but from the few i know:

while we in our ITF club use the sine wave, and the mass or our entire body to develope a good blow, some shotokan practicioners from what i've seen moved more directly toward the target (no sinewave) and didnt punch with their whole body. maybe i havnt seen enough of them to really judge.

but of course there are similarities in strenght development like: trying to perform a perfect technique, take power from your hip, be fast etc...

If you saw a shotokan person not punch with their body you did not see a shotokan person. We are a power style and hip movement is key. Yes we do go right in but we do a lot of shifting. Its not as graceful an art as TKD prob. but its not robotic either. Shotokan school that I have been in (good school) basically teach the same way. I have saw peopel say they were shotokan and teach differant techinqes but in most good shotokan schools you only work a few moves over and over and oever.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If you saw a shotokan person not punch with their body you did not see a shotokan person.

yeah, maybe. but the ones i did see were pretty sure about them being shotokan practitioners - but maybe they learned something different with the name "shotokan". or their instructor did it differently, or whatever. not sure.

anyways, its difficult to describe what i have seen and maybe we both mean the same ;)

lets get back to the thread however.