• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Kung fu.....

This is confusing, my school teaches 7 star praying mantis, but theres a problem they focus on all the movements coming from your center, theres no pushups and no situps, just stances and forms and technique, but other people i hear about say that htey get really muscular from doing kung fu. Except my kung fu emphasize movements that are explosive yet doesn't require tense strength, such as karate. My school says that all traditional kung fu has tai chi principles, while if a kung fu school doesn't follow those principles and rely on muscular strength more than anything else, is not a true kung fu school. what are your peoples thoughts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You like Kung Fu learn San Soo it easy and very effective and doesn't have all that philosophical garbage that just serves as therapy.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

well i beleive him, and this guys not american the lineage dates back to taiwain and than back to china, i know they aren't phonies, but when i first wanted martial arts i wanted strength and speed and to be able to hit something, but this kung fu is so settle its fast but its alot softer than lets say muay thai, and i dont think I will get strong or buff from this, although if i quit i might join a bad karate school, cuz thers hardly any karate schools here and i might make a bad choice to give up something that is good but yet i dont kno if its right for me

So do expect Kung Fu to make you buff and fit? Go work out with weights, run and eat right. The Kung Fu is to teach you the art, it's not a fitness program. Like any athlete, they train and do weight training. So do you want to learn to fight or do you want to be fit? I don't think learning any Martial Art alone will give you both. :)

Well to put it simply, when I taught I also had no sit ups or push ups in class. Why, because most people learned that in grade school, and hopefully the will gain the self discipline to do these things themselves. You will gain power, speed, and strength over time with any physical activity.

Sure you will, but any good student trains twice as much outside of class.

well the thing is my school doesn;t really care for any strength training, or bag work they just do stances and forms and thats what we should be doing at home. They don't really recommend pushups or bag work, before i joined martial arts i bought a punching bag thinking i was going to do karate or something, now i'm in this kung fu and i using a punching bag would not help me with it, nor will strength training