NEED A GI!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Shureido, Tokaido and Kamikaze do produce black do-gi. However, if you wish to train karate...well, stick to white. Black looks a bit cheap. Of course, still, it's up to you...

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I'm looking for a place to buy a high-quality, very durable black karate gi that will last me a long time. Also, I prefer a short "skirt" below the belt! Middleweight or heavyweight, please - what gi do YOU wear? What is your dream gi?

If you want a high quality gi for a very good price, order one from BoSE. It's nice and soft but very stronge. 16oz brushed cotton. It costs me about $75 Canadian dollars...

At least Shureido, Tokaido and Kamikaze do produce black do-gi. However, if you wish to train karate...well, stick to white. Black looks a bit cheap. Of course, still, it's up to you...

I disagree! First of all, I train in tae kwon do, not karate (check my sig...), but my school uses karate gis, and I prefer them to taekwondo dobok. Also, it is easier to see color against a black gi - the difference between a blue and purple belt, a brown and black belt from afar is greater. In my school, black belt instructors such as myself wear black. It distinguishes us at first sight as black belts. Also, silly as it may sound, it is a reward or thing that brings us pride, something that sets us apart from all the other students - because in my school, as in most schools, only about 5% of all people there are black belts.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

The BJJ belt system originally went like this: White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black. But when children started training in the art, teachers in Brazil wanted to keep BJJ from getting "watered down", and therefore they started a rule that no person under 16 can get a blue belt, and no person under 18 can get a black belt. However, there was still a large spread in talent among these children, and the belt system is basically to distinguish skill among peers, so a new belt system for those under 16 was instituted. After white belt, a child would get a yellow, then an orange, then a green belt, where they would stay until they turned 16 and could be awarded a blue belt. Rockson Gracie, Rickson's eldest son (who tragically passed away), could tap much larger purple belts when he was 15 and a green belt, but was not awarded his blue belt until he turned 16. I got my yellow a few months ago, and I am 16 now. However, I am not yet ready for blue belt so will remain a yellow belt until that time comes. A lot of people forget about the existence of the yellow, orange, and green belts because BJJ is mostly an adult male art.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Shureido is my choice. I've had mine for over 2 years out of the 14 I've been training and it's still soft and the same size as when I bought it. I paid $189.00 American for it, but it was worth every penny in my opinion.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer the Tokaido

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

• 2 months later...