• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low stances in Shotokan

Bl4cKtH0rN

I've seen my brother practising kung-fu katas. All stances in those katas are low! But I've never heard that kung-fu ppl's legs or knees hurt!

Shotokan karateka's use low stances too, but why do they complain about knee pain? :-?

Kill is love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Only reason to have knee pain is because you got bad knees. The stance would not hurt your knee IMO. At least meaning they wont make good knees bad its not like a catcher is baseball our depth is made by sinking the hips more so than pressure on the knees.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I do Shotokan and I complain of knee pain...

but that's only because of a previous horse-riding injury! I don't really think that the low stances used in Shotokan would cause anyone any injury, unless performed incorrectly. Personally, I feel that the low stances help to strenghthen the legs, which is an asset for when fighting in a higher stance.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've seen my brother practising kung-fu katas. All stances in those katas are low! But I've never heard that kung-fu ppl's legs or knees hurt!

Shotokan karateka's use low stances too, but why do they complain about knee pain? :-?

I think it has something to do with the toe and which direction they point. In shotokan kiba dachi we point our toes forward causing stress on the knee compounded by lower stance and you get bad knees. I don't think kung fu uses the same stance.

Lately I've been wondering about the restrictions that stlyes put on us. Low Stances, High Stances, Hand Here, Kick There. I think you should do what is right for the moment.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Lately I've been wondering about the restrictions that stlyes put on us. Low Stances, High Stances, Hand Here, Kick There. I think you should do what is right for the moment.

I agree hobz. But I think orthodoxy of style will lead to that, if you don't ruin yourself in a style that is restrictive. I find Shotokan to be one that is very restrictive and I hope I'm doing a good job of teaching it in a lose and less traditional manner by including elements of Shogen ryu.