• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low stances in Shotokan

Bl4cKtH0rN

Was I looking at some katas of gichin funakoshi, and did see high bases, but because today in Shotokan it is used low bases? Somebody answers me please!!!!!!!!

"Someday, I'll be the most powerfull jedi ever..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In some situation Funakoshi used high stances, in some situation he used low ones. The stance heights do vary in old Okinawan kata. Recently (in 1900's) the stance heights in Japanese karate were standardized (at least in Shotokan) and kata did lose a lot of its liveliness.

Funakoshi's karate was generally Anko Itosu's Shorin-Ryu. Modern Shotokan, however, has changed via the influence of Yoshitaka (Gigo) Funakoshi, Gichin Funakoshi's son, and via the JKA's (and other Shotokan organizations) standardization process after Gichin Funakoshi's death. Generally, stances became lower, wider and longer, kata became less pliable (but more athletic) and techniques, such as blocks, became a bit stiffer and reached longer.

You might want to check out http://www.shorinryu.dk/film/03%20-%20Pinan%20Nidan.mpg to see an Okinawan way to perform a Pinan Nidan (known as Heian Shodan in Shotokan). Only technical differencies are the beginning - Funakoshi opens his kata with a low block - and the end - Funakoshi replaced the low knifehand block with high knifehand blocks. Otherwisely...well, that's how Funakoshi's kata has been in Okinawa. Compare it to the modern day Shotokan. I'm sure you find the difference interesting. :)

(Performer in that clip is Jim Sindt from Copenhagen Shorin-Ryu Dojo, who teaches Matsubayashi-Ryu in Copenhagen, Denmark).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Shotokan uses the low stance for building leg muscles. Funakoshi was very clear about this. Read his 20 preceps. (https://www.faka.com).

The thinking is if you can learn to move fast low then when you go high in real life you will be that much faster. Funakoshi never said fight down here. He said train there to build mental and physicall toughness. Nothing more nothing less.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Was I looking at some katas of gichin funakoshi, and did see high bases, but because today in Shotokan it is used low bases? Somebody answers me please!!!!!!!!

It was Gigo's idea. :idea:

It was Gigo's idea. :idea:

Partially you're correct. However, several Okinawan and Chinese styles have used stances as a physical excercises. I believe that Yoshitaka (and Gichin) may have incorporated that idea via Gigo's several trips to Okinawa. Also, I wouldn't count the general trend towards the athletic karate training (that did spread from universities) as an unsignificant source for more physically demanding stances. And well...since the kata were altered (and practically no applications taught) in Shotokan, I would easily believe that the manouverability and pliability of original stances could be thrown out the window, as well.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 3 weeks later...