• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When & Why To Fight or Surrender?

I'll have to go with delta1 on this one

I'm sure we all know some women that might tempt you to smile as you lay down.

I know people like that, I go to school with some of them... I would certainly die if I could save my friends, instead of feeling guilty for a friend getting raped. But there truely are women that I would without doubt leave, the funny thing about it is that almost noone would blame me for it. Some of the people I go to school with.... hell... when I think about it, I'd probably pull the trigger myself :P well no... but almost!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta try, thats why you do what you do in the Martial Arts. Maybe its me but I'd rather die trying to save a loved one from being hurt, as opposed to living with the shame of knowing I might have been able to prevent a murder or rape. I'd rather be a lion for a day than a lamb that lives forever.

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.

Isn't it why we all do MA's is because we have that need to protect ourselves as well as others. I guess we are all a little paranoid and insecure and MA's is sort a therapy for us.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I'd rather be a lion for a day than a lamb that lives forever.

Yes, ofcourse, but what if he is trained to, or he might just be good, good enough to keep his distance, and if you try to move in on him then all it takes is for him to pull the trigger...

Of course, if youre trained in krav maga, or something like that, then you might have the skills to safely disarm him...

I can understand every opinion on this point and I can honestly say that I dont know what I'd do, but I'd probably attack him (with intention to disarm him), cause I think I at that point would turn even dumber than I already am...

• 1 month later...
I believe that I would have to try no matter who it was. I don't think that I could live with myself if I knew that there was maybe something that I could have done to save a life by intervening. I tend to think things like, if it were my loved one I would hope whoever they were with would help them.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

If the attacker has a gun, I'll do what he says. Unless the attacker is totally incapable of using a gun, I'm going to get severely injured or killed if I try to fight him.

I've seen a lot of techniques that are supposed to be used against gun-wielders, and I almost laugh watching them. Anti-gun techniques are a joke. The only way they can work is if: a) the attacker is so stupid that he can't actually shoot the gun; b) the attacker has extremely slow reactions; c) the victim is very tough and can continue to make his defense after taking a few bullets.

So, if he has a gun, I'm going to lay down and behave. Perhaps later I'd think what a coward I was for not fighting him, but then my sense of reality would kick in and remind that if I fought him, I'd be severely injured/dead. And so much for saving my friend: if I make a move on the attacker, chances are we're both going to get shot. And if I get shot and my friend doesn't, she's going to get raped/killed anyway (unless she's secretly a totally awesome ninja or something).

So in the situation described, if i fight, there are two possible results: a) both me and my friend get severely injured/killed. b) i get severely injured/killed and my friend gets raped/killed. Both of those outcomes are rather bad.

If I don't fight, there are also two possible results: a) My friend gets raped/killed, and the attacker shoots me anyway. b) I survive uninjured, and my friend gets raped/killed. Result a is still bad, but result b isn't quite so bad (one of us survives).

If the attacker doesn't have a gun, I'll probably fight (depends if he's on his own, how tough he looks etc). I know I have chance against a knife/baseball bat/machette wielder, but a gunman - no chance.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Ever heard the addage: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight? Well, it applies to hands in a gunfight also. Heh heh... seriously tho:

I have a concealed weapons permit, and carry my gun around wherever I go. So I fight fire with fire if need be.

Hypothetically, if I was confronted with a guy with a gun, and I was unarmed, I'd assume he was going to kill me. Plain and simple. If someone points a gun at you, you better assume he will shoot you. Better to die trying to disarm him than die standing there with your thumb up your sphincter. You have to be in close, and you have to surprise bad guy. Get him talking or catch him in mid-distraction of some sort. Don't look at the gun, look in his eyes. The second he is arguing with you or looks away, jump him and fight for your life. Blade your body sideways,grab the gun and get a death grip on it. Then, your tactics may differ. The element of surprise is in your favor. He isn't expecting a fight, but you are. He thinks you'll just quiver and cower. But always remember, if it isn't worth your life, don't fight. If all he wants is your car, give him the keys. If he wants your money, give it to him. But if it comes down to the safety of a loved one or family member, kill him. But you only have one shot, so make it a violent one. Gouge out his eyeballs, kick him in the gonads multiple times, and crush his windpipe. You can use deadly force in defense of your life in that case. But if you lose, no telling what may happen to you.

Mixed Martial Artist

Hypothetically, if I was confronted with a guy with a gun, and I was unarmed, I'd assume he was going to kill me. Plain and simple. If someone points a gun at you, you better assume he will shoot you. Better to die trying to disarm him than die standing there with your thumb up your sphincter.

I agree with this....if your attacked in an open area where someone else may be around or may at any time happen by, parking lot, etc... make a scene, fight back. scream, yell, do what you can to get attention. the simple fact is that when a woman is abducted, the minute she gets into the car with the bad guy her chances of survival are cut by about 75%. so in this situation your choices could be, A- fight back with all you have. or B- take out a want ad in the next days paper to fill her position.