• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping Certified

I've heard something to amount that certain states REQUIRE instructors to be certified through their parent organization, but I don't know for sure. I know that certain organizations (ATA for example) are very on top of things, and make their instructors re-certify on a regular basis...every year or two, I think. Kuk Sool Won may have a similar system...Doug?

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our dojo allows anyone to teach to some degree.

What do I mean by that? Well if a lower ranking belt asking a senior belt a question about a form or technique they have the right to answer the question or guide the student to the teacher of the class.

There are some people that are not teachers and after a short time in class you will realize who these individuals are.

My class is made up of about 6 BB and 3 red belts. All are very helpful in teaching the lower ranks and giving advice. Some times the instructor wonders why they are there for.....NOT!!

It has to be a great feeling for an instructor to look at his pupils and see them teaching the class rather than him/her-self. (If they have trained them from white belts that is) Like Sho said above.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In our organization our President provides our certification. I have certification through Chung Do Kwan and Kukkiwon, both of which he provided for.

As far as teaching, that is done with the permission of your Instructor. In other words, if you want to teach, your Instructor must give you permission. We don't have Certification to Teach, more of an apprenticeship. You practice teaching under the guidance of your instructor. 1st through 3rd Dans may teach and recommend students to test. However, only 4th Dan Masters and above may judge and sign testing forms.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

That is not a bad idea at all. If someone suffers a heart attack, slips, is accidentally contacted and knocked out etc. it would be a good idea if the Instructor were certified in those to allow him/her to at least help the student.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

• 3 months later...

In my case, if I were to belong to one of the half-a-dozen "offical" Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu associations out there I would have to have certification to run my school and all my promotions would have to be approved by the "money-grubber du jour."

However, since I quickly got tired of the politics, i went "renegade". Hence, I do all my own promotions, and promote up to my current ranking.

I'm sure this will be looked down upon by those in favour of associations. But I've found that associations exist mainly to feed the egos of those politically well-connected in said associations.

End of my 3 cents

With my organisation you have to be 2nd dan or above to be an instructor - there is no separate test for instructors, but there is a teaching section within each dan grade, from nidan upwards. Then, with approval from the head of the organisation, a person can become an instructor. However, if they do not train regularly for a year or more they have to re-take the teaching section of their last dan grade in order to be able to carry on as an instructor. Assistant club instructors are appointed by that clubs sensei. All club instructors and assistant instructors MUST hold a valid 1st aid certificate and have undergone a child-protection police check. Instructors & assistants also have to attend all dan gradings, unless they have a good reason not to be there, because it is the club instructors & assistants that are chosen to pair up with those taking dan grades.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!