• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learn to fight = stay away from kung fu?

"bottom line is that not all fights end that quickly. I've seen too many of them. the majority of the 1 on 1 fights I've witnessed that lasted a while involved two untrained people who ended up on the ground"

Sevenstar

I'm not trying to belittle your experience but that's not my experience.

My experience growing up in Manhattan and The Bronx, military experience and formal martial arts experience (Jiu-Jitsu with a heavy emphasis on self-defense applications) has been that fights among trained individuals (again, not sporting events but true NHB fights) last seconds not minutes. There may be exceptions but my experience is that there is an explosive first 5, 10 or 15 seconds where the outcome is going to be determined.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my experience in memphis that have involved trained individuals were cats who either boxed or wrestled in high school. In tht first 5 seconds, the wrestlers are clinching - it allows them to throw the opponent down and mount them while taking minimal shots, ideally. Like I said though, that's not typical, at least not here. It's usually two untrained, or one that may have had some training.

well, i've been reading this thread for a bit now, and have noticed a couple of things:

A) Sano, for the love of god, you're gonna get yourself killed one day. WWF is not real fighting, nor is dragonball z, no matter how much you want it to be. if you ever tried to "scissor kick" me, you're likely to get nailed in the groin. typically it's advised that you don't sit their and splay in front of your opponent. nor should one openly turn his back. i'd like to see you turn your back on cung lee and dare him to attack you, as you'd mentioned on another thread. see what happens :wink:

B) Anyone who says kung fu is useless is a fool. just flat out, there's nothing more to say. the guys at your local kwoon may suck, but you can't berate tried and true styles of martial arts

C) UFC is not a fight, you'd best not consider it as one

D) Of all the street fights i've been in, which is admittedly not many, they've all been a minute or less. not to imply that that sets the precident for all street fights, that's just my experience. and the two that i've lost were over the quickest. let that be a lesson for all of you: when you see three people drug dealing in a forest armed with sticks, just run the other way as fast as you can. don't continue jogging along you're merry way, just run the other way, as fast as you can :dead: :lol:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

well, i was joggin my normal morning run, being a cross country runner and all, i gotta stay in shape in the off season. i'd gone about three miles already, so i was tired and a little out of breath (desperately tries to defend his defeat :lol: ), ran across 3 guys who were clearly drug dealing, and i figured i'd just keep on going. well, they saw me, picked up some sticks, came after me, and just beat on me :( all things considered, i don't think i did that bad, but it was still a loss. it was over in probably 40 seconds, though i'm not especially sure. and no, i don't exactly do kung fu, so that's not it :P btw, as long as there are kung fu guys around, what's the difference between a tiger claw and an eagle claw? :-? i don't wanna start a thread if it's just one simple answer :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

C) UFC is not a fight, you'd best not consider it as one

the defenition of a fight-

To attempt to harm or gain power over an adversary by blows or with weapons.

To contend with physically or in battle.

To wage or carry on (a battle).

To contend for, by or as if by combat: “I now resolved that Calais should be fought to the death” (Winston S. Churchill).

Sports. To box or wrestle against in a ring.

To participate in (a boxing match, for example).

To set (a boxer, for example) in combat with another. See Synonyms at oppose.

To contend with or struggle against: fight cancer; fight temptation.

To try to prevent the development or success of.

To make (one's way) by struggle or striving: fought my way to the top.

By your comment I assume you either dont understand the english language or you have never seen a UFC event before.

Edited by TJS

First off Sano, what're you thinking? Honestly. Anyway. we teach more prevention than anything. How to not fight. We teach the art before the martial. I believe that I could hold my own in a fight against most people. But I don't know that I could against a person that trains specifically for fighting. I wouldn't fight to kill or maim, just enough to neutralize the situation, whatever that may entail. I'm not in kung fu, but a traditional style. Obviously kung fu works cuz it's still around.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Sevenstar

Wrestling and boxing are sports. Granted they have martial arts applications but you're going to fight they way you train and with respect to both it's honoring the rules of the respective sport.

Martial arts is ultimately about life and death, surviving a confrontation. The best way to do that is either by initiating a quick, overwhelm attack at the first sign that a confrontation is unavoidable or if an attack is initiated against you not allowing the attacker more than that ONE initial opportunity to strike. In these situations the outcome is ususally decide in the first few seconds and after that it's clean-up.

This is one of the reasons people that understand the core principles and ideals of the martial arts (those that love life and understand via their training just how fragile life is) do as much as they can to honorably avoid meaningless confrontations and displays of macho, bravado.

I don't doubt your experience but what you witnessed was a combination of martial art and sport. That said conditioning (which I believe is the tangent we got off on :)) is important. But all the conditioning in the world isn't going to undo the off balancing or damage done by a barrage of strikes to vital areas that can be inflicted in a matter of seconds by a trained martial artist.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

TJS, this argument has been done to death on this forum. no sense arguing on this thread and closing it. especially before i find out the difference between a tiger claw and an eagle claw :P