• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learn to fight = stay away from kung fu?

No san shou is diffrent than san soo it's similar to muay thai but it has throws/takdowns.

MT has takedowns. Sanshou guys use them more, however, and they are big believers in use of the sidekick. The sidekick is taught in MT, but it's not used as much.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a "fighting" Kung Fu style is what you want I can recommend Northern Black Tiger. It's nothing but fighting. You'll learn to run over people like a truck.

This opens a completely different kettle of fish... I never understood why some styles are billed as less effective. Tiger is known as being a fierce style, as is southern mantis. All styles SHOULD be effective. you won't hear any MT guys saying "Alex Gong's MT style is good, but Rob Kaman's style is crap. However, the best style is that taught by chai sirusute..." It's all thai boxing and it's ALL effective. same thing goes for bjj. A person doesn't have to worry about finding a "good" muay thai style, however, you have to search high and low for good kung fu...

San Soo kicks *! I don't know what you people have heard, but it's very effective and fairly easy to learn.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

A long time Kung Fu practioner told me it would require 10 ~ 15 years to be proficient enough in Kung Fu to utilize it effectively in a self-defense situation. From what I've seen he's talking about 10 ~ 15 years of dedicated training and practice (not twice a week but four to six training periods a week), some of it pretty grueling.

It's my guess that a significant percentage of martial artist (including myself) don't have the time or energy (and at 51 years old flexability and joint health) required to commit to this type of training.

I don't know if it's "learn to fight...stay away from Kung Fu" or learn to fight, be prepared to make a very major commitment to learning Kung Fu.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

SevenStar you should look at San Soo a bit closer it's not like other Kung Fu's out there. It is a very straight forward and practical MA. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I believe that you should have a good foundation in basics. You will learn and understand more in the long run, but if you just want to learn how to fight quickly the above sports will do. Also remember without time spent in basics you may end up breaking your wrist or hand from the lack of learning the correct way to do things.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

san soo is good i want to fight chung le i would totally destroy him he toys around too much. and you see his finishing move i was doing the scissor kick takedown before i studied martial arts.

falcon kick!!!