• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learn to fight = stay away from kung fu?

Sorry but im off topic here.

TJS does krav maga have rank or belts,what do you wear in *?

There is a Belt System in Krav Maga, however it is not empasized like in most systems and belts are not worn in Clas-s(why wont it let me write cla-ss??)

"

Most people wear a T-shirt and some sort of workout pants/shorts, although some wear Krav Maga Shirts/pants if they want to.

You also wear shoes during training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a limit to the how realistic the average person can train. You can't very often practice contact strikes into a vunerable area, it's not good for business :)[/b]

Agreed. :D

and most people have to go to their regular 9 to 5 job the following day. There is a trade-off.

yeah, that part sucks. I'm 26 and work in the internet development area of a major shipping company. I deal with marketing people all the time. Good thing is they all know I do bjj, judo and thai boxing, so if I go to a meeting or they come to my desk and my lip is busted, they already know what happened. I don't deal with vendors that much, so everybody know me.

But when you add a sporting element (meaning prohibiting even the non-contact initiation of certain types of attacks) there is a added train-off. Couple that with the starting point and the ultimate object of wrestling or the feeling out process in a typical boxing match (I do enjoy the chess game of a good boxing match), wearing gloves, etc. they fall further away from the core of martial arts (learning how to react and survive a deadly confrontation).

I agree with that to an extent. training in a sport style will definitely teach you how to react. And, it's not necessary to know groin strikes, for example, for proper self defense. punches, kicks, knees and elbows serve their purpose. As for the feel out process, that's because you are *supposedly* fighting someone of equal skill - you feel them out to see how they react, etc. In a fight, I'm not assuming equal skill. The mindset is different.

happy belated b-day!

yeah, i agree on your last statement, with quick attacks. but do you mean, if you were younger, u would learn an art (be it kung fu or whatever), that does not provide a self defense as good as your art, because u had more time to learn it? maybe i got this wrong.

happy birthday, btw :) :bdaybiggrin:

In kung fu - particularly in northern styles - you will be doing lots of forms, high kicks, spinning techniques, etc. Things that aren't best learned at 40. The main focus isn't self defense, per se.

pmh1nic-Happy Birthday :)

TJS- yeah, sorry, i see where i'm off (though yes, i disagree with the dictionary on several counts). what i meant to say was with all the rules and what not it's not like any of the fight's round here. of course, none of the fights 'round here seem much like the fights everywhere else. much less brutal :uhoh:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Icetuete

To be honest with you I don't know enough about the inner workings of Kung Fu to really know how much of it (after spending 15 years in dedicated training) would translate into effective self-defense technique. I've been around long enough to be a fairly good at judging what's acrobatics and flash gymnastics but not practical or effective in a self-defense situation.

That said I wonder (and I can only wonder never having been close to the art or seen it tested) whether some of the folks that have really dedicated themselves to learning Kung Fu can take what looks impractical to me and be so good at it that they can make it work. Granted, it might take 10 or 15 years of dedicated training and it might not be practical or physically possible for the average person but I hate to out of hand discount the effectiveness of an art that I don't know that much about.

If only I had the youth and years to test out my theory :).

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

that's the thing, not all of it - at least in some systems - is practical, especially in this day and age. But you still train it, which takes away from time you could use training practical techniques.

my opinion is wrestling and judo are best for grappling,locks,chockes,throws, etc...

and Jeet Kune do and Wing Chun for striking.

most people think that every move in the martial art is meant for an attack, that is not true!!!, some kicks are for excercise and others are meant for defending. In my opinion it is better for a person that wants to learn how to fight to learn a grappling art because when u fight on the street most people do headlocks, trip, etc... what i'm trying to say is honestly, who needs to be taught how to punch properly, it is rare that when u fight on the street a person does a nice throw or a nice lock, all they would do is punch knee elbow, etc... but they don't know how to do a neat throw.

if i think of taking any striking martial arts, i would only want to learn how to kick properly but in my opinion learn a grappling art like Judo, Wrestling, TTJ, etc...

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.