• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learn to fight = stay away from kung fu?

hey all! i didnt mean any offence with this topic, so let me explain:

for some time now i have been thinking about this: if you want to learn how to fight well, can kung fu still be the way to go? i have a lot of respect for this art as well as other traditional styles. i even do one myself, but my goal still is to learn how to fight. i got somewhat surprised and confused alike when i recently heard about this legendary fight where a Muay Thai kickboxer won a fight against five kung fu grand masters. i didnt saw this fight or read about it, but some dudes at the dojo chatted about this. in how far is there still a place for these arts, that seem to loose against ring fighting arts all the time. we all know the TKD vs Muay Thai or Kung Fu vs Muay Thai storys and the victorys for the traditionalists were quite rare.

to make a long story short: in how far is kung fu the art of choice when u want to learn how to fight? i dont want to hear this "kung fu is very important for internal development" or "kung fu has a complex philosophy that MT doesnt have" or something, since these aspects problably wont help you in a fight.

i just cant believe that the only reason for taking kung fu classes instead of MT is the philosophy, but somehow i begin to think that it is... please prove me wrong :)

p.s.: i dont talk about KF and MT in specific. they stand for their kinds of arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to learn to fight you must fight. Bottom line....

No traditional Martial Art does that. NONE. Karate, Kung Fu, TKD, TSD, even Judo, and Akkido. They spend time doing basics, kata, one step, weapons, conditioning. break falls, etc.

Anyone can learn to fight in a few weeks IMO. It takes a few things to do so.

1. Guts by far the most important to be a good fighter you can't have much fear.

2. You got to have a sparring partner. Better if you got a few so you don't get used to one preson but you have to spar and spar hard.

If you have those 2 things you will befome a decent fighter I don't care if niether of you know anything about MA. Fighting and MA are differant things.

Martial Arts is learing not to fight though learing to fight.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Boxers, MT, BJJ, etc all become better fighters quicker for that reason.

You give me any traditional Martial Artist who has studied for 10 years and he will hold his own with anyone. (in a real fight not UFC)

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

cross train

seriously, it's the only way. i don't buy all this stuff about how traditional martial arts don't teach you to fight. they do, they just teach them slower so you have a more concrete base.

so if you want to learn something fast, but also well, you can supliment with another art.

my Dojo offers Budo taijitsu (traditonal) and Comabtive Concepts. i take both. it works out well.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

All I have to say is Kung Fu San Soo.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have to say that there is no perfect art. If you choose to fight, all that matters is if you walk away unharmed. Being real tough helps too.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

If you want to learn to fight you must fight. Bottom line....

No traditional Martial Art does that. NONE. Karate, Kung Fu, TKD, TSD, even Judo, and Akkido. They spend time doing basics, kata, one step, weapons, conditioning. break falls, etc.

I don't put judo into that category. In judo, we do plenty of randori - it's against resistance and not cooperative, like one step sparring is. Judo competitors train the way any other sport competitors do - drill, randori, condition. repeatedly.