• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this a McDojo?

Yeah some styles have 15 and 12 Dans and some have as few as 5.

Jussi Häkkinen your point about their being 15 Dan grades in that style leads me more to belive he is a mcdojo because he don't know there is 15. Saying he is the best. I don't know this guy and he may be the real deal. Im just saying NO one in Japan wears a 10th Dan unless they are about ready to die. So take it for what its worth.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Im just saying NO one in Japan wears a 10th Dan unless they are about ready to die. So take it for what its worth.

Not true. In Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu 10th dan is a relatively "common" grade among the higher ranking people. Style - even in Japan - has 15 dan grades and Masaaki Hatsumi (head of BBT) doesn't really count as a "McDojo" -master to me.

Sure, I'm not saying that the dojo in question would not be a McDojo. However, I wouldn't say that it's impossible for him to actually have a 10th dan.

When it comes to style heads, well...Iwao Tamotsu of Shorinji-Ryu Renshinkan currently carries a 10th dan. He's not an old dude (around his 50's) and certainly not "about ready to die".

And yes, I do know about Japanese systems a bit. Easiest way to check this Bujinkan teacher's backround would be to contact Mr. Masaaki Hatsumi himself and ask about this gentleman. Mr. Masaaki Hatsumi will most probably tell right away, if the guy is a real deal.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I am not exactly sure how to contact the Grandmaster, not to mention how I would speak to him..

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

I did a little check about them. They should be OK. You may ask in http://www.e-budo.com about them - there are people who should know that instructor if he's a real deal. So far, I have seen nothing that would make that instructor a fraud. And, well, I have a pretty keen nose for frauds.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

1st dan ....10th dan...whatever. I've seen Hatsumi on a few documentaries and he seems fairly legit. However, like Shorinryusensei mentioned, I also downloaded the bo video and this 10th dans technique was mediocre at best. Be careful!!! As I recall from one of the documentaries, Hatsumi's top student in line to take over the style is Scottish and only a 7th dan. I find this a bit strange too.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I also found this link. This "10th Dan" isn't authorized by Shoto Tanemura to teach Genbukan Ninpo Techniques. Here's the link where you can check it out. http://www.genbukan.org/Amatsu_Tatara_Martial_Art_and_/Dojo_Locator/dojo_locator.html

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.