• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this a McDojo?

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/phillybujinkandojo/welcome.htm

Its around my area and seems interesting. I havent had a chance to check it out, but I am just trying to find some opinions to see if its worth checking out or not. Anyone that can help?

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few thoughts. I tend to cringe whenever I see anything about ninjitsu anyway, as personally, outside of Japan, I doubt if there's a legitimate ninjitsu practioner in the world.

Looking at that site. "John Sedia is currently 10th degree Black Belt in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu." How old is that guy? He looks MAYBE 30, and a 10th Dan? Major Red Flag there. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), each traditional martial arts system only has one 10th Dan, and that's the head of the system.

I also downloaded that bo video...weak technique.

The website doesn't say anything about the 10th Dan's background, which is odd I think. So young, and such a high rank..I would want to know his background throughly.

Without going into the dojo and observing, or talking to the sensei and students...my gut feeling is yes, this is a McDojo.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Seems ok to me. The prices for that area are about $80 to $100, so you would be getting a good price. Then again, like Shorinryu Sensei said, I don't know anything about the style, so I'm just going on price and the pictures.

But you would have to meet with the instructors, check out/take a few classes and judge for yourself.

Laurie F

The Bujinkan is a pretty tight knitt community. most high ranks and instructers know each other from Tai Kai's and seminars.

it's almost definetly not a McDojo because there are only 100 registed Bujinkan Dojos in the US. to constitute as a McDojo there have to be alot more than 100 dojos nation wide.

I'm pretty sure my Sensei went there for a seminar a few weeks ago actually. he said he went to a dojo in phildelphia and as far as i could tell, thats the only bujinkan dojo in philidelphia.

the 10th degree thing isn't all that unbelieveable. if he started learning at the same time i did and keept doing it until his age, he could easily be a 37 year old 10th degree who just looks a litte younger.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

10th Dan better check that out. It can't be done for the avg. person. Only the leaders of a given style. Most traditional styles say you must be 45 before you can get a 5th Dan. The guy prob. won so tourment and took the title. Be careful.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In Bujinkan there are 15 dan grades. 10. dans are not that rare - Hatsumi's attitude towards grades isn't very serious.

So, I wouldn't actually say that it's necessarily a McDojo.

Did you know that, although 10. dan usually is thought as "highest grade", there is no roof to dan grades that would apply to all styles and arts? Some arts have 5 dan system, some 15 dan system, some (such as Judo) have an unlimited system - although anyone with a grade over 8th dan is a rarity in Judo, still.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I don't know much about the style, and nothing about their system. My advice is to study a little on ninjutsu, do some research first, then check it out. At least you'll have some knowlege that way and it would be a little more difficult to do a fast sell on you. And you could ask some intelligent questions. For example, weren't there 9 houses, or major areas of study in traditional ninjutsu? (Some of you closet ninjas, correct me if I'm wrong on that). Find out what they are and ask if they teach them all, and if not why. Also, I think I remember from one of Steven Hays books that he wasn't on a colored belt system when he learned. They just taught you more as you were ready. Another good thing might be to find out what their fighting style looks like so you aren't sold Krav Maga with funny clothes.

Freedom isn't free!

10th Dan better check that out. It can't be done for the avg. person. Only the leaders of a given style. Most traditional styles say you must be 45 before you can get a 5th Dan. The guy prob. won so tourment and took the title. Be careful.

there's this guy here in Mass saying he's a 10th dan because he changed a couple of things in the MA Shoalin Kenpo Karate. Now every time he's in a tournment he walks down with he's student being cocky. my sensei beat he alot of times so that's why he doesn't compete. i believe he's belt says "* kicker" or something. G95champ gots a point.

I don't think it seems too bad on the website - a few dodgy areas perhaps, but it's difficult to really tell what a club is like just from a website. I think the best thing to do is go along and watch a class or two and talk with the instructor.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!