• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thank you Treebranch :)

I study Shorei-Goju Ryu karate in a small dojo with 5 other people. Our dojo is comprised of a 5th degree adult male, a 3rd degree adult male, a 2nd degree adult male, a 1st degree 17 year old male, a 17 year old brown belt male (that's me!), and an elderly purple belt. We prioritize on the physical aspects of karate (i.e sparring, kata) than we do the mental part of it. So, if you are still reading my boring paragraph :wink: that is my dojo!

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Stay on the ground. Being rooted is very important, because it allows you not only to torque you hips, but also to take full advantage of you most powerful muscles in your legs and back.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

Stay on the ground. Being rooted is very important, because it allows you not only to torque you hips, but also to take full advantage of you most powerful muscles in your legs and back.

Note that you should be rooted when the strike happens, not before. What I mean is, if you are always rooted you will not be able to move fast enough and in order to create a powerful strike you are going from unrooted to rooted. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

No one has mentioned being calm ansd staying relaxed. This is of the utmost importance. Trying throwing a strike tensed up then try throwing one relaxed and see which has more power.

That is also true. If your arm feels tense as you are extending your strike, then you are excersizing too many muscles. An oversimplified explanation: you have two types of muscles in your arm. One type that exends your arm out, and one type that brings your arm in. If your arm is tense, then you are using both at once. You are losing power in your punch because some of your energy of motion is being expended to counter the energy being spent by the other muscle type. You are also tiring your arm by exerting more energy than necessary.

Very well put Cymry.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 weeks later...
Stay on the ground.

Actually, not quite. An example:

First stand in a deep forward stance and punch a makiwara or a punching bag with your backside arm (for karate: zenkutsu dachi and qyaku tsuki).

Now do the same thing but as you punch, lift your front leg up and hit the bag. Land your foot afterwards.

Then feel the difference in power.

An even easier example:

do the same thing but instead of punching you push your fist against a wall. then pull up your front leg again. Notice the difference.

René