• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training both bjj and judo

I'm going to start training BJJ on Monday. The classes are going to be held at the local YMCA. The YMCA also offers judo classes for pretty cheap. I was considering taking the judo classes as well to supplement my BJJ training. Do you think this is a bad idea? Will the judo classes confuse me when I'm doing BJJ or vice versa?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I definately recommend doing Judo to compliment your BJJ, BUT:

Start BJJ first, then go to Judo after six months. The reason I say this is that Judo newaza can create bad habits, however after six months of BJJ you should have your groundwork good enough so that you don't go for dumb things like keza-katame at every opportunity like some Judo schools teach.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

remember Johnny, the rules of the competitions are different - you can't win by pin in bjj, and in judo, they will limit your groundwork time.

That said, still follow johnny's advice, but If you are going to be competing in both, going for a pin isn't necesarily a bad thing. Now, turtling is... don't get in the habit of doing that.

SevenStar,

I only say that keza-katame is bad because I used to have Judo people train at my BJJ school and whenever they got past guard they would always try to go straight to keza-katame. In doing so, they would invariably give up their back and it was hard to break them of this habit.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Cross training is always good and Judo and BJJ compliment each other nicely. Although I belive it's best to get a good base in one system before you add another.

Personally as other's have said I would Start BJJ first.

I think it's a great idea - Judo is awesome for Brazilian jiu-jitsu standup game, and BJJ is awesome for your Judo newaza game. A few things though - don't use headlocks! A lot of judo teachers teach pins that are headlocks, and ANY BJJ teacher I've ever trained with teaches A LOAD of headlock escapes! Also, the judo guys I've rolled with were big on "turtling up", I guess because that stops the action in judo - in BJJ a lot of competant guys will clock choke you or take your back from that position.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!