• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bag work?

jac

Hey everyone,

First post here. Anyone have a few good heavybag workouts? I am a Black Belt in Shaolin Kempo and have been out for about 5 years. I just bought a heavy bag and want to start back up again.

Thanks,

Jason

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
maybe it would have been better to think about this before buying a bag. but anyways: since i dont know much about kempo specific bag workouts, i suppose it cant be wrong to practices the techniques you remember on te bag.

jac: make sure you stop by the Introduction forum and make an intro thread so we can all get to know you! :)

I'll move this to the Karate forum, since I'm pretty sure that's where it belongs. If I'm wrong though, just let me know and I'll move it again.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

maybe it would have been better to think about this before buying a bag. but anyways: since i dont know much about kempo specific bag workouts, i suppose it cant be wrong to practices the techniques you remember on te bag.

Why it have been better? The bag is only 100 bucks. Anyway, I am not looking for specific kempo workouts(I should have made that clear). I am looking for any kind of boxing/kickboxing wprkouts. ie:jab the bag for 30 seconds, or jab, punch then a hook punch...stuff like that.

Thanks,

Jason

Nothing wrong with bag work if your in MA or not its a great workout and builds power, speed, endurance, etc...

A few things to keep in mind.

1. Be careful when pucnhing the bag unless you wrap your wrists you can turn a wrist espically on hard bags. I never let my class punch them for that reason.

2. Round kicks, and side kicks along with spinning versions of the 2 are about all you can hit a bag with. Front kicks are hard to target and cressant kicks can hurt you knee. Espically if the bag is moving and you hit it wrong.

Bag work for me was huge in developing my roundhouse kick. In college I would throw 100 roundhouses on a heavy bag each day I worked out. Prob. 3 days a week or 4. I would take turns and do 10 on each leg and switch. I was in no rush just worked techinque. The snap and explosion of the hip. I would thorw some series light and some hard. Some fast and some slow just work the techinque.

I see boxes do time rounds on the bag thats good but I like using the bag to develope techinques and power.

I say pick you one thing to work on each day and just work it on the bag till you get tired. 10 mins or an 1hr don't matter. Get about 10 techinques and just do one a day. That way you don't get tired or burnout and your working to get better.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Shaolin Kempo huh? You have a blackbelt and your asking how to work a heavybag?

Hmph! Pathetic human!

*teleports*

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.

Shaolin Kempo huh? You have a blackbelt and your asking how to work a heavybag?

Hmph! Pathetic human!

*teleports*

I know how to do heavybag workouts...just asking for different ideas.

I see you study TKD...that's a good sport. :P