• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring rules

aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We don't tend to wear protective equipment when sparring, even when doing freestyle, although we very occasionally wear hand mitts. As one of the black belts at my club says "we're doing karate not ballet, you've got to expect to get hit sometimes." There are prohibited zones when we spar, though, such as the groin and the knees. Contact to the face is allowed, although it isn't supposed to be heavy! It's light contact only for under 15's - us adults can pretty much batter the heck out of one another, within reason!! lol

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We use 3 levels of sparring.

1. Light contact consists of everything is a target from the groin area and above. Some people wear gloves, most do not and it is universally accepted. Groin cups are mandatory, but as I explain to adults, that is the rule, but you won't have one on in the street, so you'd better get used to blocking it. Under 18 years of age, it is required or they don't spar. I, personally, rarely wear one..and have paid the price more than a few times! It tells me when I'm a bit slow and open. :roll: Adults may wear them, or not, and are aware that it is required, but I don't physically go around and check them for compliance. :o

2. Medium contact is the same as above, but hand pads are worn (we never wear foot pads or helmets). Same target areas as above, but more contact is allowed. If two higher belts are sparring, more contact is allowed, but MUST be controlled. Body contact can be much harder than head contact, but a good smack to the head is allowed.

3. Full contact is done using full Okinawan bugu gear. This is a head and chest piece wiyth leather (not foam) gloves. Medium groin kicks are allowed (cups are MANDATORY), and full contact is allowed to the front and sides of the body and head.

The majority of our sparring is with medium contact, will full contact sparring being done maybe once/twice per month. Light contact sparring is done when we are doing almost a whole class of sparring practice in arotation setting, where everybody is fighting nearly every fight. If at all, you might sit out for a minute or two..that's it. Beginners always spar with senior students (and me) until they become more comfortable and gain more control of their techniques.

All three levels allow take downs and low (ankle height) sweeps. No contact to the knee is allowed for obvious reasons, but it is taught frequently as a target area.

Besides the forementioned target areas, the only rule is..."If the referree says stop..then STOP!" We try to be as realistic as possible, and the goal of sparring is to learn control, distancing, timing, accuracy, looking for openings, learning where YOU'RE open, movement, practicing techniques and gaining experience.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

light contact

Howver this usually changes between the 2 people saparring. Naturally 2 younger men may go harder than 2 older women. To each their own.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

At my own dojo: If we spar competitively (for points) it's AAU rules. Most of the time in class we're not keeping score, but rather sparring for experience, fitness and fun. We wear WKF vinyl gloves, mouthguards and cups for us guys. Shinguards can be worn, but most people green belt and above find that to be a bit too wussy. Contact is light, as it would be expected to be when wearing little protection and jut trying to have fun and learn. You can grab slow kicks, but you can't thrash your opponent to the floor. Any throws must be controlled. Sweeps are legit, kicking can be done to any point that punching can be. (just no deliberate strikes below the belt or to the knees, no eye gouging, etc)

At the TKD club where I occasionally have taken part in Friday sparring class: Although teaching WTF TKD, most in-class sparring is not of the Olympic variety, as the regular TKD class is largely made up of recreational martial artists, and as many as half of the people there may be people from other stules like me. Thus the rules for noncompetitive sparring there are similar to those of my karate dojo, but with these additions:

-No sweeps.

-Foam booties are compulsory as well as gloves.

-Chest protectors are highly recommended by the instructor, and may even be compulsory for his own students.

-Contact to the face must be eithe non or very light as in my karate dojo, but in theory chest contact can be full bore. In reality I don't usually wear a chest protector there, and no one really kicks or punches me in the stomach any harder than they do in karate.

-Throws are absolutely verboten.

-Grabbing kicks is a no-no. (makes for some lazy taekwondoin, IMHO)

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

My dojo got simple rules.

- Don't hit with all your power

- head shots are ok but not to hard

- waist above are the targets

- thraots shot are not allowed

- takedowns but not wrestling

- you'll get kick out if you make anybody bleed or break a body part

1. heavy punches and kicks to the body and legs

2. light contact with the hands to the head but kicks to the head are usally heavy.

3. leg kicks

4. sweeps, throws and takedowns (when able)

5. clinching with knees but no elbows

6. standing locks and chokes

ways to win

1. clean knockdown

2. partner turns back

3. partner gives up

Headgear, mouthpiece, hand and foot protectors (light padded), cup.

No point sparring, freestyle full contact, anything allowed except intentional face strikes or kicks to the knee. Fairly heavy contact at times, blood and injuries are not uncommon ( although you're supposed to show restraint when facing someone of lesser ability, in other words fight down to your opponent's level)

If we train very heavily we will wear boxing gloves and occasionally head gaurds, for full contact we occasionally wear mitts and no punching to the head is allowed....... point sparring is non or semi contact which can result in little more than a bloody nose.

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke