• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wonderin about shotokan

battlin_bard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There's plenty of 'advanced' techniques in shotokan. In my dojo we do a lot of kata application and there's plent of advanced stuff in there. We also do thngs like throws, sweeps and locks, things that people don't immediately think of when thinking of shotokan.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Same here. Also there's the more brutal techniques, for example in Hangetsu there is a movement where the hands are in a "single-knuckle fist" position (I think that's what it's called.) They are straight out in front of you, then you pull them ito your chest and pull them apart. Amongst other things, this could be interpreted as fish-hooking your attacker's mouth (this is standing behing him), then pulling his head toward you unbalancing him, and pulling his mouth apart. I've fish-hooked my own mouth before, and it split all the skin on my lips.

As far as advanced if you mean flashy NO...

Shotokan is very simple and when in doubt the most simple moves tends to work the best. The human body can only do so many things and to that end their is no secret move.

From my exp. if you can thorw 3 kicks, (font, side, and round) 2 punches (jab and reverse) along with 4 basic blocks (up, down, inside and outside) you know about all you need to know.

Yes Shotokan has a lot of hidded application in its kata but to say advanced training is much differant than beginner I would say no. With the exception that we do spar more.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."