• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu, and Shotokan

MMouse

I have these 2 styles open to me. I have been researching them a bit on my own, and will go watch each when the time arrives. I would like to develop some self defense skills, and have some fun along the way. ANy thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ooh ooh ooh --- raises hand like a little school girl!

I studied I-Ryu for about 5 years and have dabbled in Shotokan lately (in fact, I just came from a shotokan dojo a couple hours ago :) )

I know more about I-Ryu but I will try to keep this unbiased.

As far as self defense goes -- they should be incorporated in both curriculums --- that seems to be more of an sensei discrepancy how it is taught -- I've never seen SD standardized. So if SD is your main focus I'd suggest you go with the school that has the best SD program

Things to watch for in SD:

-Control - are people properly stopping locks, tapping out, or are people walking away holding their wrists and elbows

- Is it realistic strikes or are punches stopping an inch from target, held there with no counter

- Are foundations emphasized

etc, etc, etc

As far as the differences between the two styles, I-Ryu is famous for its vertical punch. It's primary stance is called the seisan stance (taken after the 1st kata in the system) --- it is higher than shotokans front stance and lower than a shorinRyu walking stance

Shotokan seems to hold there hands lower in the 'chamber' than I-Ryu does.

Oh, I-Ryu doesn't have any 'beginner katas' --- I-Ryus katas were adopted from GojuRyu and ShorinRyu and they were all brown or black belt katas in those styles.

ShorinRyu and ShotoKan seem to start with easier katas which have like an H, I , Y or K pattern. I wouldn't let this sway your opinion either way -- just FYI. Some schools institute basic pattens in I-Ryu

IsshinRyu has weapons (usually introduced at green belt) -- bo, sai, tonfa, and nunchuck

As far as I know Shotokan doesn't have weapons, but some schools (like the one I visited tonight) adopt weapons kata and training from other styles

I'm sure there's more --- but I hope this helps --- let us know how it turns out.

KarateForums.com Sempai

Big fan of Shotokan here lol theres my vote but the teacher is more important than the style anyday.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You are absolutely right about about the teacher. Unfortunately, things have become quite busy at work with christmas coming up. Money is also a little tighter, but I hope to get the time to check both out soon. I think I will choose one of the 2, just will come down to the teachers.

• 3 weeks later...
i dont know much about ishinryu, but i do know alot about shotokan, if i were you id go and find a dojo for shotokan and find one for ishinryu, and watch them and see what both styles are like. or you could join either one and find out what there like 1st hand. i love shotokan so if i were to tell u, id say shotokan, but idk much about ishinryu so its up to you. good luck

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I think a shotokan performer is often more visually appealing than someone who performs isshin-ryu, but don't let that completely bias your decision

That is because SHOTOKAN was created to look good and be taught to school children, where ISSHINRU was created to to teach you how to fight

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"