• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For the Shito-Ryu people!

tenkamusou

Hi, I've a few questions about kata..

1- does Kosokun Sho have the 180 degrees jump? or is it just a fall like Kosokun Dai?

2- On niseshi after the kiai part, you throw the guy down, and then kokutsu dachi and double punches, there's the neko ashi and the mawashi uke, what goes next, before the gedan barai and the gyaku zuki? is it an elbow strike? I don't seem to get it.... thanx

Thanx!

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does your sensei demand that u do a circular movement on you ukes? mine, says that theUchi Uke must travel a circular movement... not a straight line like shotokan for example...

does people in your dojo use that exagerated hip movement in kata or is it more like shorin ryu?

thanx for readin! and for your time...

see ya

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by "exaggerated", but in Kyan-originated Shorin-Ryu -styles the hip movement is clear and strong, easily visible.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Yes, I am from Shorin-ryu, and hip movement is stressed.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

does your sensei demand that u do a circular movement on you ukes? mine, says that theUchi Uke must travel a circular movement... not a straight line like shotokan for example...

does people in your dojo use that exagerated hip movement in kata or is it more like shorin ryu?

thanx for readin! and for your time...

see ya

listen to your Sensei, don't doubt, because yeah, thats right, you have to do Uchi Uke like a circular movement, not too circular but not too straight either. Yes, we exagerate hip movement in katas. Specially when we do zuki's/punches. My Sensei said that you get more power by using the hip too, by twisting it or something.

Kill is love

• 1 year later...

Hi. To answer your first question, the turn in Kosokun Sho is 360, not 180 like the one in Kosokun Dai. And the jump is actually non-existent in the original kata taught in Japan's Shito Kai. It's merely a turn.

Hong Kong Kendokai

3rd Dan