• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

x treme martial arts

I used to despise any type of sport MA but I think it has its place. Will it win in a street fight? no. And I think (hope) most of them realize that....remember, this is SPORT MA.

Do you feel this way about judo, bjj and muay thai also?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They billed it as " MARTIAL COMBAT SEE WHERE THE BODY ENDS AND THE WEAPON BEGINS"

Mostly it was MATT AND MIKE SEE WHERE KARATE ENDS AND DANCE/GYMNASTICS BEGINS.

The whole style vs style misses the point, however I still say Wandlei Silva coming in and dropping them would have made for a better show :)

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I used to despise any type of sport MA but I think it has its place. Will it win in a street fight? no. And I think (hope) most of them realize that....remember, this is SPORT MA.

Do you feel this way about judo, bjj and muay thai also?

What does judo, bjj and mt have to do with ANYTHING I said?

KarateForums.com Sempai

I thought it was a great show. Some of those guys are tremendous skillful and great athletes. How much of their martial arts training tranlates into being effective fighters is debatable but that doesn't take anything away from their skill and dedication to their art.

BTW, those folks standing in the front row around the guys swinging the swords exercised some incredible "faith". Personally I'd want a couple of bodies between me and the sword wielder :).

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

phh1nic -

or at least a safety zone. the sparring they were flying into the crowd at every second exchange.

stl

Are you talking about point sparring and creative forms, if so I can see your point. I think Sevenstar is curious of your opinion because the arts he mentioned are widely practiced as sports.

phh1nic -

or at least a safety zone. the sparring they were flying into the crowd at every second exchange.

stl

Are you talking about point sparring and creative forms, if so I can see your point. I think Sevenstar is curious of your opinion because the arts he mentioned are widely practiced as sports.

As far as the sparring safety zone -- I was at the BlueGrass and the judges all but stop the competition to get people to move back....the fight starts and people creep their way back to the front floor 'danger zone' --- I wish I could say that it was just the spectators that displayed this lack of discipline but it was competitors as well...eventually the judges just wash their hands of it and if you get trampled its your own fault.

-----

Yes I was talking about point sparring and creative forms.

Sevenstar going by rb's interpretation of your question -- I don't count MT, BJJ and Judo as sport martial arts. Perhaps my definition of SMA is limited but it is this:

-Creative and Musical forms that have little or no bunkai.

-Olympic Style sparring, point sparring, and to some degree continous fighting

- Creative weapons -- usually done with an ULTRA light glitzy weapon (I don't like the glitz....put the flash in your form, not in the weapon)

- eXtreme martial arts (yes they are getting their own division) -- I'm not crazy about this either....this is more extreme than what was on discovery channel. Right now the divisions are in their infant stage, but they have requirements like 540 and tornado kicks, k-kicks, back hand springs, etc...and after each of these moves you have to end with some sort of block or strike ( that's how the justify to MA)

-------------

I don't include BJJ, Judo, or MT under MY definition of SMA.

New question ---

If you do martial arts AND they run competion --- does that make it a sport?

KarateForums.com Sempai

I am relieved to hear these responses I feel validated in my disdain for this kind of misrepresentation. Calling it xtreme martial arts is an injustice. Calling what they did martial in any aspect is hilarious. Does it matter whether or not Mike Chatt has been in a streetfight. The short answer is no, but that is why tradition is important. Real martial arts are those that have been used in the field of battle, be it the streets of Seoul, or the Boxer rebellion. The techniques and forms that comprise the art were used effectively in combat. So I know when I perform my techniques the proper way they will be effective. There is nothing wrong with sport MA that is the natural evolution but it should never be confused with real martial arts. Shows like these are outrage me until I consider the fact that I know the difference and that is all that matters.

even a broken clock is right twice a day

i do not mean to be rude or go of topic but, why does point sparring suck? as a full contact tournament fighter i can see the difference. in a point fighting tournament point fighters seem like they are afraid to get hit. while us full contact people don't care we just go out their and ever try to knock the guy out or kill them. they should of showed a full contact knock down tourney instead of that crap.

falcon kick!!!