x treme martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I thought about the show it isn't that bad if you are just looking for entertainment, but I thought it was going to be more about MA and the science of it (bone structure, muscle development). I wished they (discovery) would have advertised it being more of a performance art than a martial art.

Now that I thought about the show it isn't that bad if you are just looking for entertainment, but I thought it was going to be more about MA and the science of it (bone structure, muscle development). I wished they (discovery) would have advertised it being more of a performance art than a martial art.

:up: exactly!

this show made me wanna go and see the last samurai... :wink:

eh, the show was pretty neat. i liked the rope dart segment and some of the "cut away" CG scenes where pretty interesting.

and that cat with the Katana in the end was really good (even if it was pretty flashy)

i didn't like the fact that most of the emphasis was on weapons and striking and there was only about 2 minutes devoted to the softer arts. maybe if they make another one (which they probably will) they'll have some more jujitsu or grappeling related stuff.

i also didn't like how every time they would show a weapon they would make it apear to triumph over the weapon it was facing. i thought it was stupid how it gave the impression that one weapon was better than another when really the winner of the battles simpley had a higher skill level.

in ideal circumstances with two martial artists on the same skill level a Bo would not beat a spear, 1 sword would not beat 2 swords and a straight sword would not beat a katana

if the skill level is the same, the only variable is the technological advantages of the weapons. a spear can be used almost exactly the same as a bo but it also has a sharp tip so it is more effective.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

I was also under the impression that there was to be an explanation of the science behind martial arts. While the forms showed creativity and amazing dedication I found the show to be distracting and uninformative.

The show is too busy as it tries to invoke an emotional attachment to Matt Mullens as he vies to reclaim former championship glory. This is to be achieved while the viewer is bombarded with cheesy matrixesque graphics and MA toughguy oneliners. A laughable one is when they start talking about point sparring where "theory gets a bloody nose". The more he (Matt) talked the more petty his martial arts goals seemed.

It is disappointing that a lot of martial art specials notably on national geographic and discovery channel are in my opinion so poorly produced.

I enjoyed finally seeing something MA related on TV. Maybe, if this show has any kind of ratings, they will explore into more MA subject shows. Not bad entertainment. The most impressive thing was the athleticism shown by the participants. I also thought that the "science" billing was misleading as it did turn into a documentary of a guy's attempted comeback.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I decided not to watch, since every other MA show I've ever seen has been a pretty big letdown. I couldn't stand to be disappointed again :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.