x treme martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" "Balance....blah blah blah..... Balance, 'cause if you don't have it, you're hurting."

Then they show a clip of someone tripping during TKD style point sparring... with the funny foam hats."

Reklats - balance is very important, showing the tripping was showing how you will lose without it. the funny foam hats is to keep you from getting a concussion when kicked with 900 - 2000 lbs of force. Oh wait you do GJJ and striking does not exist in fights it just is how 80% of the last few UFC fights have been won. JUST BUSTIN EM I think they did not show enough realistic sparring the drill type confrontations the two guys did showed they were fast , inshape but to kick left/right hook punch combo with a roundhouse to a hook kick ....please

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Did you guys notice how it was all artsy blocking and dodging and stuff in the dancing skeleton demos, then when they actually sparred it was two people just trying to side kick each other at the same time? With the occasional "tag" punch?

Also, I think the other guy got pissed at the main character because he got kicked in the nuts like 3 times during their simultaneous side kick exchanges. Did anyone see that kinda happening?

About the force measurement thing... I don't know what that was about. Their sensor thing tore like a piece of paper when the guy kicked it. How accurate could it be? It didn't look like it was designed for that purpose.

I guess the real problem I have with this is how it was billed as being a documentary on the physics and science of the martial arts. There was about 10-15 minutes of that, and the rest was:

Look here's Matt and his quest to become more "XTREME" so he can make a comeback and win the world championship again...

and here's a few ads about the Last Samurai where Tom Cruise pretends he knoes all about the martial arts now because he trained for 8 months.

Maybe I'm being overly critical. There were some good points made, and some of the weapons stuff was interesting and well done (aside from the spinning spikes - that was just bad...)

I also would have been far more interested in following almost any of the martial artists they showed OTHER than Matt... they seemed to be more talented and have a better grasp of the fundamentals...

There were a few things that did impress me, but they were few and far between. I maintain that there was about 15 minutes of useful footage, and the rest was flash...which is often trash with or without the fundamentals....

I equate eXtreme MA to WWF (or WWE now) --- we know its not real, but its a crowd pleaser that pulls people in. Just like WWE isn't the 'real' wrestling....but people watch it.

Unfortunately, people ( I mean non-MA people) don't want to see traditional katas....they want to see flips and hear music and see fast moves.

Like I said before...I think there is a place for Sport MA....and rather you like it or not move over cause its coming! Long as they stay in their own division its all good with me. I just hope they don't get too carried away --- I've seen some whacked out divisions being created.

KarateForums.com Sempai

If anyone knows a way I can watch this show in England please let me know.I have the discovery channel and so on but its not listed anywhere.

For anyone whos interested, on British Eurosport tonight at 8pm theres the 8th world open Karate championship.I think it's probably the non-contact point scoring thing called K10 with a £10,000 prize for the winner.

Then at 9:30 on British Eurosport theres K1 fighting in Osaka, Japan.Thats on for an hour.

Never give in

I too was disappointed in the show. I thought there was going to be more scientific material than what was presented.

As far as the content I think they tried to pack too much into the show. It would have been nice if they would have expanded on a few items and made a mini series out of the show.

I wonder if XMA didn't want the scientific data put on the show. Why not keep that data in house. I am sure they learned a lot from all the gadgets they had on the set.

It was nice to see some of the "traditionalists" represented in the show.

I saw that show.. what a misleading thing .XMA stood for mike chat's stuff.. but a bit of others..but basically about a guy who wanted a comeback.. if they wanted a better educational or scientific presentation .. would have picked out boxers, something more on the lines of understanding efficiency .. it is after all the discovery channel

you scythe with it!!!!!!

I thought it was going to be more scientific, also. When they talked about how a martial artist can withstand a blow, that was interesting. They had a bit on how breaking (my fav thing to do) is done, too.

They had about 10 or 15 minutes of scientific stuff, which was interesting. The rest was about that guy.

I agree with the basics thing. If you don't gott'em, the flash is crap. I try to learn the flashy kicks at times, but if I can't do one, I go back to the basics and figure out why ;)

Laurie F