• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kajukenbo Karate

Seedy

Well I think most MA's at one time or another were mixed with something else in order to perfect it. All MA's are or were mixed at one time or another. Kajukenbo is just an obvious MMA. I've never studied it, but I know people who have and it's brutal.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the best of the eclectic Hawaiian "karate" systems. When I trained on Clark AB, Philippines in the early 80's our base dojo was home to this art as well as others. I liked what I saw and our Shorinkan class often did bag work and other boxing type training with their class. They were sweat mongers and their forms were very similar to ours albeit a bit more athletic with high and flying kicks and the such. They also talked much of the Crane influence in their system and attributed that to the strong Ryukyuan and Chinese influence in Kajukenbo. In competition they were always right there at the top in kata and jiyu kumite (free sparring). When the competiton was full contact they usually waxed all comers. Sifu Frank who was a 4th Dan equivalent was an AF Security Policeman and he and his wife (she was fiiiine) were supreme physical specimens. They always had the highest caliber students who could do beautiful forms and fight extremely well.

You could definitely see the Chinese and Okinawan influence in this MA. You could also see the cross-training mentality that is so prevalent now, but all good arts always borrowed and bit to fit their purposes. We trained the same way in Shorinkan too.

When Okinawan karate was brought to Hawaii by such Shorin legends as Kentsu Yabu and Motobu Choki the Hawaiian students didn't have the opportunity to get the highest level of training due to time constraints. The karate they did learn was good enough for most circumstances but the in-fighting and grappling that was not taught (tuite/gyakute) was replaced by individual street experience and proficiency in other arts. Thus, KaJuKenBo was born.

This is not MMA style. It is a MA based on forms, weapons, SD and sparring. All true Okinawan Karate was/is a MMA if you want to define "MMA" as a MA with myriad systems, ranges and influences innate to it. For example Matsumura Orthodox Shorin is based on Shaolin Chuan Fa (which includes White Crane Chuan Fa), Jigen Ryu Kenjutsu of the Satsuma Clan and the indigenous traditions of Okinawa called "Ti".

Kajukenbo is one of the few "modern" systems that can appeal to a combat sport minded individual and a "traditionalist". It's definitely a very cool karate system in most cases. Props to the true Kajukenbo stylists!

Yes, there is a right and wrong way....

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!