• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate blocks

martialartsresearcher

Karate blocks are often misunderstood.

They are just the basic techniques and usually cover the full range of motion possible for the technique also the teach correct body mechanics and power generation.

This means that when you are fighting/Sparring you probably won't use the whole technique but rather a 'section' of it. For example if someone goes to punch you in the face and you decide to block with a soto uke, you may just use the final part of the technique which will deflect the punch away from your face. And hopefully because you have practiced the complete technique then the small part of the block used will have the same power as the complete blocking motion.

Blocks are not just defensive either. They also can be escapes, destractions and strikes. If you hit someone in the throat/neck with an age uke its will probably cause them a fair bit of pain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a complete beginner. Sensei had us practising punches and blocks in pairs last session. I got to work out with him. All I can say is receiving his uche uke on the pressure points in my wrist as I tried in vain to punch him was pretty discouraging!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

thats why you have to practice and gain skill, speed and power. What would you do block with your face?

Dodging is another alternative if you prefer that method, but blocking is a nice thing to know.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

yo guys, wen do u mostly need ur blocks, cuz i dont really think in RL they r just ganna let u block them if they r like 10

Well if all you plan to do is block you are going to get hit. All defensive techniques should 'set-up' attacking techniques.

So to answer your question, you need blocks when another person is trying to hit/grab/push you, or when you are preparing, or actually attacking them.

But like granmasterchen said, you wont always be able to block so you can move out of the way, or cover up with your arms and absorb the attack.