• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate blocks

martialartsresearcher

uke is recieve.

I'll take your word for it, since I don't speak Japanese. Just what I was told. But it is still the application of 'block' instead of 'recieve' that doesn't work well.

Boxing does not take place at only one range, nor do other combat sports.

True. But that's not what I said. I said "fights primarily", not takes place. Boxing fights at punching range, a very restricted range. True, they circle and move in and out. But the fighting occurs at punching distance. They get close and tie up, but this is not their primary strategy. That is one reason the boxing guard works for them.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch TV at all, and there's no boxing matches close here. So no. But I have seen boxing matches, and worked some with boxers. They punch. Arms lenght and in, medium to close range. They don't use long range kicks, and they don't grapple, unless you want to count tieing up. They also are only concerned with protecting the upper body and head (belt up). So a boxer can get by with that one very limmited guard because he is only concerned with defending against punches at a limmited range and to limmited targets. Throw in some different strikes and allow grabs or cranes, open up all targets, including his hands and arms (I know, they also strike these- but not like we do), and if that is the only guard you know how to use you could be in trouble. I'm not demeaning or shorting boxers. They can be tough opponents. I just wouldn't depend on their guard as my primary guard.

Freedom isn't free!

I think anyone that spars, without stopping after hits, full contact(boxing/kickboxing) will quickly realise blocks are not a good idea.

But are they right? Boxers in particular do a great deal that is dependant upon the rules of the game. The cover their face by touching their gloves to their forehead. Glove trying to swing through glove, this works well... with a fist, it not much different gettinghit with your own than with someone else's. Also, since there's no grappling in boxing, such a static guard would allow an opponent to simply rip down your arm... and nevermind wht knives do to it.

I'm not actually a fan of Karate-style blocks... but we do need to remmeber that sport arts have spent decades devising strategies to win under the given rules. The skills can apply to more general combat, but there are generally gaps.

Karate style blocks will work OCCASIONALLY as a suprise against a tired or lower level fighter, but they are a very bad thing to teach as a primary defence.

OTOH, other types of blocks are used by boxers, kickboxers, etc.

i don't like it when people talk about blocks in any martial art as being a 'static' thing.

as far as i'm aware, blocks are movements and the 'static' image is just a position that the arm might end up in.

there is motion before and after that image that people seem to ignore when discussing this.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

that came out bad...

what i mean is, a block isn't a fixed thing.

it is alive and it adapts.

really, it is an INDICATION of how you should be doing things according to things like body structure, position to opponent, type of entry etc etc.

that's why you have to train.

it's easy to do a blocking movement in isolation, in a training hall, against a single move.

it is however, a different matter when it is a harder attack from an opponent who isn't going to give you any quarter.

the blocks work.

the exercises/tests in isolation prove that (the body structure etc is correct).

you just have to get that same 'feel' EVERY time you do that block, not just in the training hall.

sometimes maybe the fault isn't in the technique....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

They say it because they are ignorant. It is sometimes better to dodge an attack, sometimes it is not an option, for instance if you are backed into a corner. Blocks are useful if you dont have time or room to dodge. They are also helpful if you want to block and throw, block and counterattack.

What people say and what people mean are often two very different things.

What they say: Blocking is useless on the street

What they mean: I'm much too slow to block even the simplest attack from an untrained fighter.

COME ON Everyone knows street fighters

1. Get Mad

2. Throw the Wild Right Cross

3. Throw The left hook, right cross

4. If that doesn't work they go for the tackle

If you know whats coming, then you should prepare to defend against it

Tottallyn right on!!!

Somone love one

Somone love two

I love one

That one is myself just have been turn down....

whoa, what do you mean

"helpful if you want to block and throw, block and counterattack"?

if you've blocked in the first place, you ARE going to want to follow with something...

anyway, one time when i've been in a 'fight' the other guy was just hanging his fist in the air trying to get a shot in after missing the first one and seemed very reluctant to use his left hand to hit.

some people have no idea just how close you have to be to hit someone.

probably my luck to run into someone who didn't know how to fight.

COME ON Everyone knows street fighters

1. Get Mad

2. Throw the Wild Right Cross

3. Throw The left hook, right cross

4. If that doesn't work they go for the tackle

If you know whats coming, then you should prepare to defend against it

That list doesn't really represent much. If you ran into me (or probably most of the people that post here) we wouldn't attack like that.

In real life people CAN think and react. They won't just run at you wildly like the bad guys in a Ninja Turtles movie.