• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate blocks

martialartsresearcher

Hey boxers do all the time. Right? Yeah. If you missed you are simultaneously being hit.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks can be decieving. Obviously the big, sweeping circular wawuke blocks you see traditional stylists like me practicing don't work of the street. The block is meant to cover your stomach, opposite shoulder, head, shoulder, and then lock. In a real fight, or in partner drills, the block will skip a few of those steps, and go directly to where the danger is (if the strike is to the head, the block will go directly there). I think it is very effective, because it leaves you with a grip on your opponent's arm, steeing you up for powerful punches and elbows to the face.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

Scorcho could you be clearer? I'm not getting what you are saying? Thanks.

I can try. The block is called a circle block, because it moves in a circle, covering pretty much your whole upper body. In a real fight, you can skip a few steps of the circle, and go directly to where the attack is.

I'm not sure if that helps, but it's the best I can do.

So you are kind of mirroring the punch being thrown at you? If that's the case that's not technically a block.

Not mirroring. You are adjusting your block to the attack being thrown. When there is no attack (ie in kata or when practicing) the full range of the block is used. When blocking an actual attack, only the part that is necessary is used, because there is not enough time to do the complete circle.

• 1 month later...

I think anyone that spars, without stopping after hits, full contact(boxing/kickboxing) will quickly realise blocks are not a good idea.

Keep your hands in tight, if you go out to meet a incoming strike you are going to get hit.

Karate style blocks will work OCCASIONALLY as a suprise against a tired or lower level fighter, but they are a very bad thing to teach as a primary defence.

There is a reason no boxer/kickboxer/mma fighter uses them.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I think anyone that spars, without stopping after hits, full contact(boxing/kickboxing) will quickly realise blocks are not a good idea. Keep your hands in tight, if you go out to meet a incoming strike you are going to get hit. Karate style blocks will work OCCASIONALLY as a suprise against a tired or lower level fighter, but they are a very bad thing to teach as a primary defence. There is a reason no boxer/kickboxer/mma fighter uses them.

Yes, and no. Boxing styles fight mostly at only one range, and they use different body mechanics to support that in-tight guard and launch punches from it. You are correct that trying to block most incomeing punches is not reliable. Your primary defense is to move the target and gain position on him. But it's not the incomeing punch I usually want any way. I want it going back.

I used to work out with a JMA instructor who told me "The term for 'block' is ute. In Okinawan, 'ute' is to 'recieve'. In Japanese, it means to 'block'. This is where the term got confused." To block implies to put up an obstacle and stop something. To recieve implies doing something with the strike. A 'block' should do something to him- cancel at least one demension, adversely position him, effect his ballance, double as a strike or check, trap, ... . One of the best ways to accomplish most of these is to 'block' the return, adding your force to his to sort of make him overcommit in reverse. It's one method of contouring. This strategy takes into account that you are probably only going to get a piece of the strike on the way out, and obviously depends on your effectively moving the target as you 'block'. Even your boxers are famouse for their 'bob and weave' avoidance strategy.

A good 'block' also has to properly use principles. An example is its angle of deflection. Push an arm straight across his body with an inward block and you may launch him into a spinning technique. But angle it down and across and it checks the weapon to his body, controls his width (stops the spin option) and disturbs his ballance. If you moved to his side as you blocked, removing the target, you've also positioned yourself so that his off side weapons are out of play. Roll a strike over the 'block' simultaneously and you have him. Oh, don't forget to check the leg for almost complete control.

'Blocks' work if used correctly. But I'll agree that a 'block and counter' strategy is a good way to get beat. But then, so is bobbing and weaving with your hands up by your face at all ranges and situations.

Freedom isn't free!