• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate blocks

martialartsresearcher

I'll go further: if you want to attack incoming limbs, I'd argue the "boxer's guard" is not a good position to want to be in... It works well in boxing and arts with a similar approach as the arms ar used as shields; but if you are after arms with lateral mobility and some idea of where to move to, it's pretty awkward.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you got it spot on.

wing chun exists in the very few seconds of initial contact/interception.

that is why we go on so much about making things relex.

we want to have moves explode on contact without having to decide if it will work or not.

the many years of chi sau that we (are supposed) to do is to make sure that even if we explode with the wrong move, we can interrupt and change.

and yes we want to be that close.

at that range we 'should' have a better advantage as then we have all of our weapons to pay with specifically our elbows and shoulders for pushes+positions.

and again i think i've veered a little....

and trying to play a grappler is difficult.

i don't have much experience and i've certainly never played against a good grappler but whenever anyone goes for my legs, instinct tells me to aim elbows at their spine.

but then the thought of the possible damage it can cause and the fact that i know that it is a friendly spar tells me to do otherwise.

i did accidently knee a guy in the face once and that kinda stopped the grab attempt.

not sure if i could pull it off again though...

and yeah, once on the floor i'm about as much use as a wet towel.

make that a wet towel with a big hole in it...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

you got it spot on.

we want to have moves explode on contact without having to decide if it will work or not.

that's not unique to wc...

the many years of chi sau that we (are supposed) to do is to make sure that even if we explode with the wrong move, we can interrupt and change.

sounds like bjj...

yes we want to be that close.

at that range we 'should' have a better advantage as then we have all of our weapons to pay with specifically our elbows and shoulders for pushes+positions.

same with thai boxing.

i don't have much experience and i've certainly never played against a good grappler but whenever anyone goes for my legs, instinct tells me to aim elbows at their spine.

not gonna work, unless you've already sprawled out of the double leg. once he's gotten contact, you will be uprooted and moving backwards...strikes will have zero power. first goal is to defend the takedown. THEN you attack.

i did accidently knee a guy in the face once and that kinda stopped the grab attempt.

not sure if i could pull it off again though...

that can be devastating. I've done that before also.

I'll go further: if you want to attack incoming limbs, I'd argue the "boxer's guard" is not a good position to want to be in... It works well in boxing and arts with a similar approach as the arms ar used as shields; but if you are after arms with lateral mobility and some idea of where to move to, it's pretty awkward.

I would agree with that. attacking limbs isn't my cup of tea though, so that's no limitation for me. When I was in kali, we did plenty of limb destructions. On occasion, I still redirect an incoming punch into my elbow, but that's about the only one I use. Boxer's guard works great for that one.

I agree with Jerrylove on this one. Moving to the right spot throws their game right out the window. By the time they regroup it's done.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

this is a little off topic but I know what you mean about moving to the right spot. I try many things with my instructor and he always moves just out of range or he even moves in and jams me, but what really go me one day I was trying some jkd tatics on him and he kept his lead foot where it was and just pivited and ended up right to the side of me and totaly bypassed my attack. then i was in trouble after that.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Exactly ShotokanWarrior, that's the idea. Don't be there. :)

Or move it to the ground :)

When we strike while standing I eventually get tired, and my guard drops...and bad things happen. I'm like Antaeus... separate me from mother earth and I don't have anywhere to draw energy from.

When you guys talk about blocking and then immediately striking, don't you just end up blocking their first punch, then trading simultaneous punches with your other hands? Especially if your block is some big sweeping limb attack and not just a deflection? When I block or punch I try to keep my other hand between my face and my opponent.

NO Reklats we are completely not there. We can either leave or re-engage. At higher levels you don't have to block anymore, you just know where to move to be safe and pound the other person into oblivion.