• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate blocks

martialartsresearcher

I am surprised at the amount of praise traditional blocks are receiving here, because I would be very impressed if all of the people who have posted here use crisp, textbook Karate blocks in sparring. Unless you block every punch and kick in sparring with traditional Karate blocks (chambering the block, pulling hand to hip, etc.) and never take a hit because they are so effective, perhaps you should rethink the amount of praise you give those blocks.

I have faught countless Karate and Tae Kwon Do practitioners and cannot recall a single one of them actually using a traditional block against any of my attacks.

This post is not meant as a real attack on everyone here, but do think about it please. Long ago I too supported the traditional blocks.

The traditional block is an application usually - a grab, then break, etc. It's taught that way to teach you the principle of the application. you don't do the full chamber thing when you attempt to block. Same thing with chinese styles and stance training. Are you going to fight from a deep horse stance? I hope not. In muay thai, will you use the same footwork you use while jumping rope? they are exercises which are meant to teach/develop something.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside, arms length and inside. Some blocks are useful, but they need to be accompanied with a counter similtaneously. In my experience of TKD, Lima Lama which both derived from Karate, are taught very mechanical ways of fighting. Karate blocks and attacks are usually always linear which is a limiting way of fighting. If you have time to think about blocking, why not just move offline and shift back in with a kick or strike, etc... Never understood the Karate mentality that's why I left.

you don't always have time to step offline. and good karate does plenty of offline stepping. A close friend of mine was born, raised and trained in Japan, and his sidestepping is awesome. but:

1. you may not always want to step offline

2. when you don't have time to, you need to block or parry, that way you don't get clocked. In muay thai, I have made a habit of parrying/covering as I slip, just in case my timing is off and I take a shot.

Sure I agree if you don't have time slipping and parrying are necessary. The thing you want even in close is to attack their balance with your parry, and blocking should always be accompanied with a strike. Also, blocking while shifting in or towards their balance point is a good way to make a block mean something. The last thing you want is the fight to be a test of speed and strength. Always be in their weakest spot.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

The simultaneous block/strike is mainly a chinese idea, and one I personally never cared for. Being a thai boxer, I've felt what happens when you are unguarded. If I am blocking and striking, that means a portion of my face is unguarded. That means I'm open to be countered.

If I'm parrying and striking, there's a still a chance I may eat his punch when I strike. I just parry and follow up as his arm is on it's return path.

Now, if you're ducking, that's a different story. hit him with a body hook as you are ducking under his swing.

Well we mostly do it and follow through by clinching and taking them down. Also, if you are constantly moving and using your movement to take their balance you might get smacked. It shouldn't be a big shot if their fighting to keep their balance.

You are going to be unguarded any time you put your limb out; though there are certainly ways around it. That said, IME Chinese arts do blocking strikes while also moving for position or distance. You either see a sticking action used from protection (WC) or getting your vunerable parts away (most others).

Very well put JerryLove.

well, if you've 'stuck' with a wing chun guy you'll notice that it's not really 'sticking', more like keeping your arm in check by keeping pressure on it with out elbow/elbow position.

we have a saying:

'the arm you can't feel is the one that hits you'.

but i think i've veered away from topic a little.

sorry.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

a karate block is not really a block but a strike to the arm or hand when it is attacking. I do it all the time, and you do not chamber the arm on the hip before the block. that is only done is basics to learn the mechanics of the technique and to use the movement of the hips

Where Art ends, nature begins.

DrunkenMonkey it just seems like your too damn close and playing a game to see who's faster. It just seems like you'd be way to vulnerable to a good grappler. :)