• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

College student w/ a question for instructors...

I started the "Y" program with the request of my instructor. That must mean I am doing something right, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Am I right?

Anyways, this is not about rank or who is teaching. This subject is about finding a good college program or what have you. Please stay on topic. Thanks :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much exhausted the options as far as local dojos go. There are a few YMCA's in the area, so my next move is to check them out for classes. After that, I'll start asking around campus for some bjj-ers. If worst comes to worst, I could always train over breaks and then, slowly but surely, start showing other students some stuff. Then, we could get together and roll every once in a while.

I am a little bummed out though. I thought the local instructors would be more open to helping us college kids out. Oh well. Thanks for all the replies. :)

• 2 months later...

Judoka don't really know how to punch or kick probably as a karateka karate can't throw people as well as judoka.

karate is more fun.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 4 months later...

Liability is really no issue. When you look at the types of injures you see in martial arts (well at least in my 10 years of experience) its a stupped toe, maybe a rare occasion when students may crach heads. The injuries i've seen arent't really related to karate at all. People just want attention or may not want to participate in class.

Your first problem is that your looking for a Jiu-Jitsu instructor. Well not many people want to do Jiu-Jitsu, or a similar art for a long period of time. This is a college rec center. Choose something general, something that a lot of people have heard of. Tae Kwon Do or even Kichboxing should bring more instructors in.

As far as the price, this is for college students. I know that Notre Dame charges something like $30 or $40 a year and that is a very organized activity with a full time instructor. I would go with $5 a class, I think thats fair.