• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

College student w/ a question for instructors...

Hey guys, recently I've been trying to find an instructor (or one of his higher-ranking students) to teach a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class (or at least submission wrestling or something similar) at the rec center at my college in South Jersey. Unfortunately, most have been fairly unreceptive of the idea, asking for commitments and fees most college students cannot afford to make. So, my question is, hypothetically, how willing would you be to go to a local university once or twice a week to teach and, if you were willing, what would you charge? My second question is to any BJJ practitioners around the South Jersey area: would you be interested in teaching a class at my school (Rowan U.)?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Universities generally put severe restrictions on people, especially non-students, using student spaces to teach martial arts... especially if they charge.

IOW, it's very difficult for an instructor to do what you suggest unless he's willing to work for free, or a student. It's far more productive to teach near the campus by opening a school there.

Well, when I trained in college, it was only $40 a semester, but most instructors can't afford to take that kind of hit for their time.

I would do it, but I would have to charge a minimum of $20 a month, just so it would pay for itself, an hopefully gnerate some interest and a student base.

On an aside, my mother is a professor at Rowan...

sorry, I don't know any BJJ instructors though.

There are liability issues. Are you sure the school doesn't make the instructor purchase some type of insurance coverage?

If the instructor is going to make a profit, then the school would probably want a cut --- if you are looking for an instructor to do it for free then that is a different story.

KarateForums.com Sempai

tangsooguy,

I need a bjj instructor w/ your mentality...dont charge us too much bc we're all broke..haha. I wish I could just find a nice blue or purple belt looking to make some pocket change. Then, we could get a group together to roll every once in a while. Who's your mom? Maybe I've had her for one of my classes.

stl_karateka,

Not really looking for it for free, but less than $15 dollars per class per person, ya know? Regarding the liability issue...the gym has open areas available for student use. What I was planning to do was get a group together and bring the instructor here myself, without having to go through the University. That way, all $$ would go directly to the instructor.

Thanks for the input.

I see what you are saying....I read 'class' but I interpreted per semester, in which case $15 per semester wouldn't be bad (I paid 30)

But yes...$15 per class is quite expensive!

Keep searching --- best of luck to you!

KarateForums.com Sempai

I teach at a YMCA (besides helping at my dojang). They pay $45 for 8 weeks (8 lessons a session .... once a week). As an instructor, I try to give them their "money's worth" so to speak. Try to find a good YMCA program.

Laurie F

Ideally for a student, a martial arts class that is an hour long will fit nicely into their schedule. However, instructors wouldn't want to go and teach for just an hour. Classes should be longer than an hour so the instructor is paid more per session, but then again college students don't have much time.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt