• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is variety good or bad?

I finally started in a martial arts class. Ive been going for two weeks now and love it but I have one question. Our instructor teaches multiple arts to us. We jus kinda touch on everything lol So is this a good thing or is it better to focus on one art since im a beginner??

I never try anything...I just do it.

wanna try me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing worng with studying more than one stlye if they blend well. however I think it's important to get A GOOD BASE in a certain stlye of fighting such as

If you study Judo, Aikido and Brazilian jiu jitsu then you are learning similar concepts and a somewhat similar stlye of fighting.

Or If you study Boxing and Muay thai at the same time.

What would be difficult is if you studied say... Capoiera, karate and Traditional jiu jitsu..you wouldent really get a good foundation.

Hope i got across what i was tring to say..

I don't think it's a problem when an instructor teaches one art mainly and then mixes a few others in as long as there is a strong base. Like my instructor does. He mainy teaches TKD, but mixes others in. He teaches a more well rounded version of TKD because of it.

Laurie F

Our instructor teaches multiple arts to us. We jus kinda touch on everything ... is this a good thing or is it better to focus on one art... ?

Depends on the arts and how well they are integrated, and the instructor and how well he understands what he's teaching.

There are a lot of schools out there which just throw a few styles together, with no understanding of the principles or concepts that make the styles work, and so have trouble making them work together.

On the other hand, I've seen some very effective hybrid styles that bring multiple arts together and make them function together smoothly and effectively. The people who put this kind of program together have a solid grounding in principles and put a lot of work into their style.

Your post sounds like your school might be the first example, but since you are new to martial arts that might not be the case. Give it some time, see how it goes. Then, if things don't start to fall into place or the styles don't work together for you- and if your instructor can't help you to see the connection- find another school. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 weeks later...
I think learning more than one style has its advantages because you can take the best techniques from each.. You just need to remember that being overcrowded with techniques that you have no chance of doing in a real life situation can be a disadvantage if you fall into that trap

Well there should be a set of basic moves you always come back to. EX Shotokan has 4 major blocks, 2 major punches, and 4 major kicks. Reguardless how we change those though opeing the hand, spinning, hip placement to make them look fancy its still the root move. All our throws, take downs, etc come off of those 10 moves more or less. Add to that 3 stances.

I don't think you can study 2 differant arts at the same time. MT and Sumo not a good mix IMO. BJJ and Boxing not a good mix. Just way to differant. Now thats a good combo if you wanting to be a MMA fighter but as far as doing things in class I think you should have ONE base style and then venture out.

Nothing against being taught 2 if they work hand in hand like TKD and TSD or Judo and JJ.

Thats just my take.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I am of the opinion that learned 2 very different arts e.g bjj and boxing at the same time would be better than learning say jj and judo. The reason is: they are completly different. If you were to learn jj and judo at the same time you would probably learn the same technique from each but with a slight variation which would cause confusion for the student. But with bjj and boxing they are very different so its easy to distinguish which technique comes from which art therefore saving confusion and error in techniques.

• 5 weeks later...
Just work on the basics of your art and all the style and technics will flow in to place if you have and open mind and work hard.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 4 weeks later...
Mixing is a good thing in my opinion, but probably best to stick with the same philosophy. If you try and mix internal chinese with external japanses for example youre gonna get conflict (pardon the pun).

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."